fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

'Numb fingers and thumbs keep moving' - I'm sure any of you with small children that used to go to Gymtots or listened to other children's music song, or can even remember this song from their childhood, know the song '1 finger 1 thumb keep moving' as in , 1 finger 1 thumb, 1 arm, 1 leg, sit down stand up -keep moving song etc

I've got a new version -

numb finger, numb thumb , keep moving (repeat twice) I'll try to be jolly and bright

numb finger, numb thumb, a swollen arm, keep moving (repeat twice) I'll try to be jolly and bright

numb finger, numb thumb, a swollen arm, cramp in my leg, keep moving -as above

numb finger, numb thumb, a swollen arm, cramp in my leg, a tired head etc

numb finger, numb thumb, a swollen arm, cramp in my leg, a tired head, a painful hip etc

Nearly there now!! last line coming up

numb finger, numb thumb, a swollen arm, cramp in my leg, a tired head, a painful hip and an ache in my chest, keep moving and I'll TRY to be JOLLY and BRIIGGHHTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK. So, overall, I don't usually get these symptoms all at once but the numbness and tiredness, oh and the swollen arm seem to be continuous. The cramp comes if I've had more than 1 glass of wine, my hip pain varies - seems to be weather dependent now - and this odd, cramp like pain in my chest seems to happen if I move my arm in a certain way or sometimes even laugh which is very annoying as I do like a good laugh. Crying does the same but I try not to go there too often.

There are lots of everyday things, I find very difficult now because of numbness and having fingernails that have broken below the quick. How and why, people pick/chew their fingernails is totally beyond me and I'm sorry if you are a nail nibbler but why do you do it!! Since I live with 2 people who do this and they can't tell me, I suppose I'll never know the answer!!

This is a quick summary of things I can not do with numb fingers and no nails-

  • open tins of sweetcorn or tinned tomatoes
  • peel the label off new CDs so that I can open the box and play it
  • pick up playdough from the floor
  • put buttons through buttonholes
  • connect zips on coats together
  • pick up little beads, bits of string or other child like clutter from the floor
  • open supermarket bags
  • thread needles (or is that my eyesight !)
  • undo knots in shoe laces

Wearing the lymphoedema sleeve -

  • peeling veg
  • grating cheese
  • washing hands between kitchen jobs
  • putting on gloves

numb toes -

  • can break toe nails and bleed without noticing
  • feel the pedals when driving
  • can't put slippers on without using my hands
  • stand in my kitchen without the fan heater going

Apart from that, I've been out to lunch with friends and out for a belated Christmas meal - all lovely and brilliant to catch up with the human race again. I eventually heard back from PALS who seemed strangely unkeen for me to make a written complaint until I pointed out I knew the lady who phoned me who then said it was probably best for me to make a written complaint. Thank you to everybody who contributed to this letter.

My next chemo, went strangely smoothly but then the nurse consultant did phone pharmacy at least twice to ensure they had the prescription and were doing it so was back at home by 1pm. It was my last chemo so still waiting for my CT appointment and will go on the 25th for herceptin and the bone builder. I had hoped I'd get the CT results but not sure I will now.

Poor hubby has had a flu like illness and was looked after kindly by his parents. I know they would have given him more love and care than he would have had at home. He's still off work and has now got an infected toe to add to his woes.

Woody went to Lulworth Cove for a birthday party on sunday. This seemed to involve 6 boys and 2 adults climbing up the cliffs and getting wet in the sea. A very 'Dangerous book for Boys' day which was good. Poor Woody's shoes were soaked when he got home and were literally dripping but there again, he had refused to wear his wellies so what could you expect!! They were supposed to be home between 5-6pm but got back about 6.45pm. I was beginning to panic by this stage and imagining, boys falling off cliffs and crashing camper vans but all was well.

Laura - has now got a new mattress. We had to agree with her that her mattress was lumpy. After shopping around involving lots of laying on beds, wew found one sunday morning with free delivery. One shop wanted £25 for delivery and £40 to take it upstairs!! Needless to say, we didn't go there. Hopefully, now Laura will sleep better.

AJ is a school monitor this week. This means he has to be in school 10 minutes early and seems to spend his time sharpening pencils and wearing a sash!!

will write again soon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home