fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Communication - In 1990, I wrote an essay for my Cardiothoracic Nursing course which was about poor communication and the errors and complications it caused. It is a sad indicment that in 2007, it has not changed.
Remember me telling you 3 weeks ago how my creatinine levels were not checked but no-one ccommunicated this between the doctor, pharmacy and the chemo nurses and me and so I waited 4 hours to complet treatment and had to helped by a stranger to the loo. Today, I saw what the doctor wrote in my notes which said that my creatinine levels needed to be checked urgently but this obviously was never passed on or if he did it wasn't acted on.
I should have been suspicious when the research nurses asked me why I wasn't at chemo last week but no in my oblivious state it didn't click. It didn't even click when I had to remind the same doctor that I needed zometa this week as he must have been looking at the week 2 rather than the week 1 cycle. I saw the doctor at 9.30 so really good for a 9.15 appointment. There were the usual probs with pharmacy and people were seen in odd orders but I thought I'd be good and patient and not hassle. Never again will I sit PATIENTLY - IT DOES NOT PAY!!
At 2pm, I was still sitting there and getting the most awful cramp pains in my chest - it seems the secondaries are irritating my nerves in the whole of my left chest. It is just like cramp in my leg so can you imagine what it is like across all of one side of your chest. Voltarol and usual stuff wasn't touching it so ended up having to get morphine. At least pharmacy only took 10 minutes to roganise this so that it a result. The morphine helped and calmed me down for the long wait which was a good job. It seemed that the computer was issuing drugs for last thuirsday and the doctor had signed this but pharmacy of course did not issue them as it was the wrong date but never chased it up to why they had been sent an out of date drug chart!! Eventually, it was sorted once they could track down the doctor to resign the chart and I was seen in chemo around 4pm and left about 5.15pm. Iwas second to last to being treated but 4th patient in.
Am going to complain to PALS tomorow and see what the hospice nurse suggests.
Need hugs, chocolate and wine - got none of the above.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home