fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Sunday, December 24, 2006

Best laid plans etc - oh well I did go out 3 times but not the 4th this week. I went out on monday lunchtime and although I really enjoyed the company and the main course, I couldn't taste the prawns for starter and the profiteroles were too sweet as for the coffee, well, I might as well have been drinking dirty dish water!!!
Poor AJ came back from his party on monday night complaining of pain in his leg and was sooooo miserable. We could see he was going to be poorly. He woke up the next morning with a high temperature and so never went to school and so I lost my last childfree day for shopping!!! Poor thing - he was so cold at one point that he was shivering despite 2 layers of tops, a fleece coat and a fleece blanket. He cheered up when his temperature went up but didn't eat anything all day. I tried to get him to go to sleep inthe afternoon as above all I needd a sleep but he wouldn't settle. Eventually, he watched a dvd (what would parents do without these!!) and I had a 10 minute sleep on the bed settee downstairs.
Wednesday - AJ was a lot better but went downhill in the evening - just at the time when we had booked to see Happy Feet. Not sure what I thought of the film. There seemed to be a lot of ecological moralising in it that went on and on but some of the jokes and visual stunts wwere excellent. The CGI was amazing. The children were supposed to have been at the childminders so that I could go out for lunch but she wasn't well and neither was I and my mouth was quite sore still so in the end I never went which was sad as I would like to have caught up with them all.
Thursday - Woody had a party for most of the day and AJ and Laura just played well. My ear was beginning to hurt a lot and I kept sneezing and had episodes of odd pains in my chest and felt my breathing wasn't as good as it had been. I htought I owuld see how it went and would go to the GP tomorrow but at 5.10pm whilst cooking the children's dinner, I had a terrible coughing fit and became extremely wheezy. After 4 puffs of ventolin, I felt a bit better but the pains were still there in my chest and ear. Hubby was still at work and was going out straight from work anyway. I got into a panic which of course made my breathing worse and so phoned the gP. I got an appointment and was seen within 30 minutes. He would have seen me sooner but I wanted to get the children's dinner done first (not sure if my priority was right but you know how it goes!!). He gave me some antibiotics as my chest was wheezy still and my ear inflamed. Amazing isn't it - I can now see a doctor within 30 minutes but before I became this ill, I could wait all day to see a doctor. My surgery has always been good at seeing emergencies but I thought being ill and seeing a doctor within 30 minutes must be almost a record.
Friday - definately feeling better and even my mouth apart from one ulcer is improving.
I had a brilliant letter from one of my friends who i did my nurse training with and who i shared a house with in 1984. The pictures of us all were so funny as were her comments. I'll have to see whether she can email some to me so that you can have a laugh at my 1980's fashion sense!! I was really touched by that letter so thank you.
The children played really well together and were brilliant until about 1.30 when all hell was let loose and there was a lot of shouting and arguing and tantrums. OK so I also joined inwhich did not help and by the time the twins godmother came over with her daughter at 2pm I was in floods of tears. A good cup of tea helped and she set about helping me hoover and clean so that when hubby's friends came over in the evening there was somewhere to sit. Hubby arrived in the middle of her hoovering and we were trying to move the settee. He just went upstairs and had a bath!! Aren't men amazing!!!
It was lovely friday night as our friends who had been traveling in South America for the last 5 months had arrived back and came over with some other friends. I think we were all pretty tired for various reasons. I've never known such a small amount of alcohol to be drunk!!
Saturday - hubby was working and Woody spent 2 hours at the co-op packing bags for the cubs. They had raised £630 in 4 hours!! Laura and AJ spent the morning playing with playdough. I was amazed that it was still soft and that they still wnated to play with it. It kept AJ amused all day and apart from very playdoughed trousers, the floor escaped damage!!
Poor Laura went down witht the same bug that AJ had earlier in the week so she was in a bit of a state this evening. We felt guilty going out but she was OK. We went to hubby's family christmas meal. It was very delicious and as my taste buds are returning so is my appetite so I really enjoyed it. Hopefully, I didn't appear too antisocial as my chest got irritated by the cats and my infection so each time I laughed I could feel my chest spasm so it was easier to try not to laugh - not an easy task as there was a lot of good natured family banter.
I also had a card and short note from my best friend at school so hopefully we can meet up - we've not seen each other for about 20 years. That's a scary amount of time to just fly by!!
Now of course, I can't sleep as I'm full and I've had coffee. Oh well, at least it gives me a chance to catch up with this blog.
Happy Christmas to you all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home