fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Mystery Like Jaundice Deepens!!!
Well when do I do normal things ehh??
Have caused great excitement at the hospital today as nobody knows why I'm yellow and my bilirubin is raised. It is 76 so up but not dangerously high yet.My bilirubin levels were normal 3 weeks ago. The Ct scan from 11th June has been rechecked and there is nothing wrong with my liver apart from the 9mm one tucked away at the back of my liver and is nowhere near my main blood vessels or bile ducts so they are mystified as to why I'm yellow with raised bilirubin levels and general liver dysfunction.
It is getting more noticeable - Laura asked me this morning why I was yellow. I suppose it didn't help being in the sunlight in a yellow kitchen but has worsened since last night.
Had ultrasound today which showed that my bile ducts are enlarged and full of gas!! My whole tummy is full of gas - I feel like I've been invaded by a cross between the slytheen (the green monster things in Dr Who that unzipped their human skin suits, made appalling farty noises and were killed by vinegar) and the fat busting pill story where every night, a little fat toy like thing escaped out of a human body and ran out of cat flaps to join their 'mother'. Again, the person made strange farty noises and every morning, the human felt and looked visibly thinner!!!
I've lost 6kg in 2 weeks despite eating loads. Everything I eat just pops out the other end undigested. You do not want to visit me unless you are immune to smells and noises!!
The consultant radiologist said I had an odd liver - well nothing else so far in my bc journey has been normal so why start now!!!
They don't know if it is an infection - apparently that causes gas in the liver but not got temperature or any sign of an infection apart from a wee one so presumably my poor body is feeling overwhelmed by something.
Other possibility is that the cancer has caused my bowel and bile ducts to fuse together but too small to see on scan yet.
Got CT on tuesday and if nothing seen then either MRI or exploratory op to see exactly why there is gas and bile duct enlargement.
Onc feels my lungs could cope with the op and wants to treat me with whatever is right eg operation, chemo, stent so at least he is on my side now and I'm keeping them all busy with a different as yet unidentified diagnosis - so they are all excited and I'm scared stiff I could be dead in matter of days/weeks if bilirubin levels rise and no cause found or no treatment available or have an overwhelming infection as my bone marrow is so worn out from previous chemos.
Will see how goes over weekend and will go straight in if worsen.
Must go - need to lie down as only thing that relieves pain and wind.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home