fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Thursday, July 03, 2008

Thongs and Incontinence Pads
I thought that as I have been a nurse for 27 years and quite a lot of that in the area of sexual health, women's underwear would not be shocking to me. How wrong I was!!!
Just before I went back home to collect the paperwork, I asked the other ladies if they needed anything from the shops. The eldest - so well over 70, said ''yes please!! Knickers''. I was thinking along the lines of Bridget Jones due to the incontinence problem so just thought I'd ask. She asked me to come over so I did and she pulled back the sheets and pulled up her very brief nightie to reveal a thong!!! I did very well not to laugh and went home with mum. Couldn't find the paper work but got other stuff and so mum and I went off to Sainsbury's. I don't think my mum could believe that a woman of her age was happy wearing a cheese grater especially with an incontinence pad. We spent quite a few minutes deciding on which style and bought 3 pairs. She was so pleased and kept showing the nurses the purchases and then today she kept showing her visitors including one of the mum's of AJ's class mates who I don't know well but was obviously shocked that the playground rumours were true and that I am indeed terminally ill and at that time was in pain and in PJ's - albeit boring, functional but comfy Marks and Sparks ones though!!!
I'm still reeling at getting this vision out of my mind!!!
Last night, I actually managed to sleep completely flat without oxygen which was wonderful for my hip until 430am when I woke up with terrible chest pain due to acid reflux. Oromorph and medicine helped the pain though.
My journey to the toilet meant that I walked quietly or so I thought between the thong wearing granny to the toilet but as I shut the door, she started screaming about me being an axe murderer so all the nurses came running to see what was happening!!!! Never a dull moment.
My poor Magnolia, she phoned me on tuesday afternoon in a state as she had bad tummy pain and to cut a long story very short, she has ended up in hospital having her appendix out but has developed a high temperature today so has been on intravenous antibiotics and can't really use her mobile so waiting for more news. Poor girl - since she updates you on me, I thought I'd tell you so that you can have some sympathy with her and my sister's family.
Spent the after noon with hubby, going through my last wishes stuff before we see the funeral director tomorrow. Want to 'do a Dom' as the place we want to use is £1000 dearer than the other. We've been successful with double glazing etc but it doesn't seem in very good taste to try with a funeral director but it's a lot of money.
Wifi signal better tonight - nurses busy so not at their station so not blocking the signal!!!
Get well soon Mags.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home