fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Friday, April 04, 2008

Well I wrote as a reminder to myself to tell you about being Queen of the Commode, the imelda world of pajamas, cleanliness of the hospital, cardiology docotor, and other patients so here goes.
The hospital was a 1930s bulit one where they had different levels of cleanliness - much higher I imagine and the toilet was a real issue so might be best not to read this whilst eating!!
I was in the annexe with 5 different patients but all oncology on a general ward. here was 1 toilet and I shower next door. The toilet had no sink in it and no bleach wipes for the seat or handles. As i sat on the toilet having got the poor new and young housekeeper to clean the diarrhoea encrusted toilet, I could see bodily fluids up the side of the walls. I complained to the sister who said it was old and just dirty paint - well I know poo and vomit from rust!!! the hoousekeeper did a wonderful job of bleaching the walls and it did look a lot better and the stains all went.
One poor lady was abit confused and had prolific diarrhoea - clostridium difficle crossed my mind and even though she had a commode in her room she would trot up to the toilet with a trail of diarrhoea in her wake and leaving it all over the floor and seat of the toilet. The poor domestic was at the end of her tether at having to clear up after her and we others got scared as we all had very low white blood cell counts and I did not want to be finished off by a hospital acquired infection!!! Eventually, they moved her to a different ward where they said they could keep a better eye on her but they wouldn't tell us what sort of ward it was. Hopefully have ome out of that unscathed.
Beacuse of this and because I had IV fluids I did need a toilet - in the end they got me a commode which again I had to disinfect my self as there was bodily fluids on the surrounding seat and lid!! I will write to the hospital's MP when I suss out who that is as i have no faith in the PALS system.
I got talking to the lad in the next single room and we both thought we recognised each other. it seemed she had worked as a nursery nurse at the hospital the twins were born at so eother knew her from that or from study days at the hospital.
The other person in a side room was supposedly a prisoner from the nearby prison - not sure about that - I think he had mental health problems and was so rude to all the staff.
The idea of me going to that hospital rather than the nearest one was becuase it has an oncology ward but I spent the whole time under the care of the cardiologist and even though the nurses and doctors were lovely they hope;ess about pain control in palliative care so i got the pharmacist to find out options for me. DIY healthcare is the order of the day now it seems.
Right my pajama collection!!! - having been unexpectedly taken into hospital away from home, I had minimal pjs ie 1 pair that was in desparate need of a wash and i really didn't fancy the rather fetching spilt down the back NHS ones!! Luckily I've lost enough weight to fir into 2 pairs of my mum's PJs but she very kindly went out and bought me some more and a dressing gown as i was borrowing her lovely fleecy one but couldn't always get my lymphoedema arm down the sleeve so she found me one from George or Quality Seconds - what would I do with out these cheap shops. It doesn't seem worth spending loads of money on thigs I won't use for a long time but saying that my 3 pairs of my M and S pjs are the most comfortable and as for my 11 yr old cotton M and s dressing gown it still looks as good as new. The primark ones are struggling but the Tescos one are holding up well. It doesn't seem to matter how many pairs I have I still struggle to find a matching set!!! Slippers are another thing I always struggle with. I spend so long in them and as my ankles swell, it is difficult to find a pair which look nice and are going to stay on my feet when I have no feeling in my toes.
The food was better than at home but the choice worse and it wasn't till day 3 that I found I could order an omelette, scrambled eggs or a baked potato. The omelette was delicious and the potato was good as well.
At least I had a view and the staff were lovely.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home