fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I had to get up early as had 9am hairdresser appointment. She did my hair well and sprayed it down well was hoping it would stay that way. It was drizzling so felt like a repeat of last time with Hubby being ill and rain!!! The afternoon was supposed to be sunny though.

My sister and her family arrived late morning as they were going to help us sort out the hall. They also made some paper flower decorations as Laura was very keen on adding her own decorative touches. Between, aunty and 2 cousins and Laura they must have made about 100 paper cream and turquiose flowers!!

We took longer to get ready to get to the church hall than we thought, mainly because we needed to take extra tables with us. as I hadn't anticipated that the cateres would need 3 of the 6 ft tables. How much food had I ordered????
Luckily, other helpers were there already and had unpacked a lot of the heavy soft drinks and cutlery and plates etc . It took quite a lot of different variations to get the tables out and enough chairs for everyone to sit on and there seemed to be so much action and movement of tables, it got quite noisy. We saw the celebration cake and hubby's morris minor birthday cake for the first time and we were both very overcome with how much effort and detailed the cakes were. This friend had also made 10 table decorations which were very beautiful. The celebration cake was a fruit cake covered in white icing and decorated with wildlife and flowers which were absolutely exquisite. The detail was amazing. Perfect daisies, dragonflies, ladybirds and a frog plus buterflies and pebbles and autumn leaves. It was absolutley stunning!!! The morris minor was amazing as our friend had apparently been over with the coloured icing to get an exact colour match!! I'd never noticed!!! She had also been raiding our garden for the greenery for the table decorations again - I never noticed!!!!
The children and cousins wanted to be ushers so we dropped them off at the church early. Our friend videoed the event so we could see them directing people to their seats. It also revealed the fact, that Woody is very good at doing a Prince Charles impression with holding his hands behind his back all the time.!!!
The service was very moving, especially repeating the vows as I could see various people with tears in their eyes plus our own watery eyes. I never realised that 'Love divine' had so many verses - sorry about that!! Nor did I realise that it had the word 'breast' in it which was not entirely appropraiate!! Woody and Laura read 2 poems. One was about saying 'thank you' and the other about the inportance of friends. AJ got cold feet so his middle cousin read his 4 line poem about the importance of family. They read it beautifully and I think that moved people as well.
We then did minimal photos with just us 5 plus grandparents. Unfortunately, no-one told me to put my bouquet down so in most photos it looks as if Woody is growing a cauliflower out of his head!!
The reception was busy and squashed but we had plenty of food and hopefully drink. Both hubby and I did speeches and hubby's dad proposed a toast. I think I managed to speak to most people but I know I missed out some so I'm sorry about that.
The evening disco was fun. The children had so much fun and the DJ so good with them and then we had the adult bit so we could do our slow dance and had fun dancing around my manager's Prada handbag!!
Lots of people helped with the clearing up which was a great help especially the early glass washer uppers and the final clearer uppers!!!
It was a lovely day and we had so much fun.
The dvd and photos shows me all the time with a manic grin on my face and this time it wasn't steroid induced!!!
Thank you so much to everybody who helped with the preparations, setting up and clearing away and thank you all for coming especially those who had a long journey. We really loved our day and hope you all enjoyed it.
We raised £700 which actually split evenly between the hospice and the cancer trust so they and us are really pleased with that so again a huge thank you.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home