fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Wednesday was one of those busy days where I seemed to be running round in circles. The day started badly by poor Laura having the runs and she was OK but a very frequent visitor to the toilet - I gave her a tablet which she managed to swallow - that is the first time she had ever tried a tablet so was very pleased that it helped and it that she could manage to swallow it without choking so that wasn't the best start of the day!! The boys left early while I went to get my blood test where the poor practice nurse did struggle to get the required amount out of me but at least it didn't hurt and left me with no bruising. I saw the lymphodema physio in the afternoon by which time my mum was here to keep Laura company and to pick up the kids if I wasn't back in time. The physio is wondering if I have a new growth in my front shoulder area as that's where it is sorest in my upper body. Anyway, she gave me some different bandaging stuff to try to reduce the swelling on the back of my hand - will give it a go as the normal compression bandaging is not reducing that part but does reduce the rest of the swelling. Anyway, now got this ridged foam stuff to use so that might prove interesting!!
Thursday - Laura better but had to keep her off school as they say you have to be free from d and v for 24 hrs before going back school. Thank goodness mum was here!!! My first appointment was with the genetics nurse. This was very interesting as I hadn't realised that not only did my paternal grandmother had breast cancer at about 48 but her mother died of uterine cancer. In those days, they did not always do post mortems so she may have had ovarian cancer whoch is linked to the breast cancer gene or it may have been secondary to a hidden breast cancer. Also on my dad's side, there is a strong family history of oesphageal cancer and stomach cancer which again when you go back to the those years, they could have had oespogheal cancer. Apparently, there is a gene liked to oesphageal cancer but it is linked to extremely hard, dry skin on hands and feet. Apparently, so hard that suffers have to use planers to get rid of it. I was concerned because AJ's skin is so dry but apparently, in this syndrome it is only feet and hands apparently and ironically, his skin is less dry there than naywhere else. The other syndrome linked to oespahgeal cancer is something called Barrett's disease where acid refluxes into the oesphagus and causes pre cancerous changes so people with reflux should apparently be regularly tested to ensure these cells don't change into cancer. My mum and uncle recall that Dad had Barretts syndrome but that was discovered after his cancer had been discovered so a word of warning to anybody who gets regular acidic reflux, make sure you get treatment for it and ask about having a gastroscopy to ensure that there are no abnormal cells.
It is a big decision to be genetically tested becuase it will have such an impact on whether my daughter and sons are at risk and also my sister and her 3 girls. There are 2 types of breast cancer gene, BRAC1 and BRAC2 - one of which is linked to prostate and breast cancer in men so it is important that we know I think. At present, insurance companies are not allowed to weight premiums if you have genetic testing but that is only till 2011. Still, there is no point in worrying until we know my results as if it is not genetical then that will help my children and if it is then we will have to consider options in the future.
My appointment for chemo was 11am and so I thought I would be there forever. However, it wasn't too bad and we out by about 330pm. The onc thought my numbness was due to rads damage but halfway through the herceptin, he came in to say that the neurologist didn't think it was so must be further spread then. Apparently, the nerve originates under the armpit so a bit stuffed then as I've had so much radiotherapy there, I can't have more so would need a change of chemo which I don't want as the next one tends to make people very anaemic and their platelets low and be very tired. I could of course, try another referrel to the marsden about tykerb if it is further spread. If it is in my shoulder where the pain is then i think further rads might be an option. Depressed about it as there are so many things you can't do when you can't grip between your first finger and thumb!!
Friday - went out with mum to look for shirts and ties for the boys. Everything is stripey and didn't seem to look right with the sits. Eventually, found some in Debenhams so now need to nag hubby to try on his suit as he is now over 1 and a half stone heavier than when he last wore it. Hoping he can get shirt to match and then get matching ties.
Saturday - off to town to buy Woody's school shoes and Laura's bridesmaid shoes. The traffic was appalling and for no reason. Then had to pack for going off to friend's house for my hen night and was taking the children with me. Seemed to take ages topack for just one night!!
We had fun and lots of nibbles from different continents before having a chinese takeaway. We thought the children had been asleep but at 1am, we found only AJ asleep and the 4 others playing on their nintendos. This did not bode well as my friend's son who is 8 was playing hockey at 9am and Woody had a cub trip where he had to meet at 850 to catch the coach for a 100 mile walk in the New Forest. It actually was 100 cubs walking 1 mile so not that arduous really!! I got up at 745 and then couldn't get back to sleep as luckily my friend's husband could drop Woody off so i didn't need to get out of my PJs.
Laura woke up at 1030am so at least she got her sleep. We came home about 1130 and I went back to bed for a few hours and that is where I'm heading now!!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home