fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Sunday, August 26, 2007

We did manage to leave home for cornwall at 730am - 30 mins later than planned but never mind.
The traffic was good and we got there about 130pm but couldn't get into the cottage till 4pm. We went to some caverns which were very impressuve and we all enjoyed the fairy grotto walk with fairies dotted aabout the woodland. OK - it was raining but it didn't matter but the poor car got covered in mud again.
Apparently, you can get married there but the bride has to wear a white hard hat and clamber down some very steep steps and then stand under an umbrellla to sign the register as the cave drips on you!!! Not sure I would do that!!!
We arrived at the cottage and had a lovely tea there cooked by hubby's mum. The only problem was that the door frames were very low so we kept hitting our heads amd as my brother-in-law had warned us, parking did require intimate knowledge of the width and length of your car!!
Sunday was rather a windy day and my inlaws were tired after their busy day on saturday when they had to move residences up and down loads of steps and do a big food shop. We explored the local beaches including Polzeath which looks wonderful and I know some of you have stayed down that way before. If you know of any local sites to the beach at Polzeath, please can you let me know - thanks.
On monday, we all went out to Tintagel Castle/beach/merlin's cave. I managed to climb to the top of the castle, up loads of steps and also clambered down to the beach where I had to jump over a stream and clamber over rock to get into the caves. I was just so excited at what I managed to achieve especially as I was reducing the steroids!!!! OK so I got the landrover from the top of the town to the bottom of the beach area but as i said I did do all that climbing when I was there. Feel I should now have a medal or certificate to congratulate myself!!!
Tuesday, the grandparents looked after our children all day and evening and they had a marvellous time on the beach. Hubby and I went to the Lost Gardens of Heligan. It was fantastic but very hilly. Hubby had to keep standing behind me to push me up the hill but I DID IT ON MY OWN 2 FEET!!! We went round the whole garden and had a nice cream tea to boot!!! Later on, we popped into Truro. What a change there - it's gone very upmarket. We went to the jewellers where we bought our wedding rings in 1995 and at that time, the rings were a reasonable price but not now!!! I loved the look of a dragonfly brooch - along with penguins, dragonflies are also my favourite. This brooch must have been about 2.5cm big and had saphires in it but it cost £350!!!!! He then showed me some butterfly earrings and they cost £200. We made a hasty retreat!!!
However, we did manage to find a fantasticc pizza place and as we were early, it was buy 1 pizza and get the 2nd one free!!!
After this, we drove onto to seee hubby's ex-landlady and had a good catch up chat then.
It was so lovely to have that time with hubby on our own. It made it such a special day. Definately would recommend Heligan but you do need to be able to walk up hills to appreciate the whole place.
Wednesday - surprise,surprise my feet were playing up and I'd got blister! Overdoing it as usaul!!! . We went to Crealy's which is a mixture of animals and rides (oh and it is hilly as well). I managed the viking ride boat thing twice and the log flume twice plus the sittting in boats down a slide twice. The rest of the time, I sat with my legs up, writing postcards or doing crosswords so I did try to have a bit of a rest and I had also got down to 1.5mg dexamthasone (steroids) and my breathing was still good!!
Thursday - we went to Widemouth Bay. It was a lovely big beach with good surfing waves and facilities like toilets and a cafe!!! It was also a good place to go rock pooling and Laura caught loads of litttle fish, little crabs and shrimps. It was a brilliant dy an i could spend a lot of time laying down in the shade so i was trying to be good - honestly!!
Friday - back to the beach. My blisters had also grown further which was a bit of a blow. I spent quite a while rock pooling with Laura and AJ. I thought i'd just got sand trapped between my foot and shoe but I was rather wrong there. On close inspection. the big blister that started between my big and second toe and underneath was full of sand!! We tried to get some first aid stuff off the lifeguards but it was obvious we culd not do this on our own so we had to abanon children with grandparents and went to a minor injury centre about 4 miles away. Much to our surprise, there was no queue and I was seen straight away. Unfortunately, the only thing the nurse could do was actually cut the top of the blister off, irrigate it and dress it. It was 3 x 1 cm big and about 3mm deep so quite big really!!! She was rather worried about me being on chemo and if I should have antibiotics but after phoning my hospital, we decided to leave it unless i do get a high temperature or it looks manky.We got back to the beach so hubby went back there and I sat in the car reading, sleeping and listning to Take That so i was quite happy too.
My foot actually felt better with the top of the blister missing than when it was filled with sand. Still, it did make it difficult to walk and the only shoes I could wear were my crocs but then there is nothing different in that!!!! I'd also developed a 2cm square blister on the side of the same foot and another blister of about 3 x 1cm between my big toe and foot on the other foot!!! So my walking was definately limited!!!
Somehow, we managed to pack the car the night before but I'd obviously overdone it as my left arm with the lyphoedema was much more swollen and I'd also developed continuous pins and needles in all my fingers but my hand han't turned blue so I just took loads of painkillers with special reserve port and slept well!!!
Saturday morning, we got up at 6am as we wanted to leave early becuase of the bank holiday traffic and we succeeded and left on time. Good job we did as the traffic in the other direction was horrendous. My arm was getting worse so took a valium in the hope it would do something to help the pain. Well, it must have done as i slept most of the journey!! I also thought if I did have a clot they would need to operate so stopped eating and drinking at 1030am.
Around Yeovil, I thought i'd better phone my hospital to say i wanted to be seen. Their initial reaction was for me to go straight to casualty in Yeovil. Me being me decided my arm wasn't blue so it could wait till we got back home. I phoned aagin when nearly home and they told me to go to casualty three which is what we did. I got there at 1130am and hubby took the children home and unpacked everything and did 2 loads of washing so think he deserves a medal and certificate too!!!
After sitting in a wheelchair for about an hour, I asked to be able to lie down as my hip was hurting and I couldn't raise my arm up enough for it to help the pain. Once Iwas on the trolley I promptly fell asleep again. I don't think I was seen by a nurse or doctor until 230pm who thought a clot was unlikely as he could feel good pulses in my wrist and the colour was good. I had a special ultrasound which showed no clots.My blood tests were okso they came to the conclusion that I had strained a muscle or trapped a nerve so came home via a taxi and been living off valium and oromorph since!!!
The odd thing yesterday was the casualty doctor and the taxi driver were all from cornwall - co-incidence or what!!!!!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home