fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Sunday, August 26, 2007

We went down friday night which was a good move as we missed the traffic.
We spent saturday and sunday on the beach which was lovely. Folkestone beach has these little concrete shelter so we nagged 1 of them so that we could be out of the sun at times and have safe storage space. The children and hubby really enjoyed body boarding and making castles and holes and rock pooling!! I just enjoyed the resting - although I think hubby would disagree that I rested much as was still so fidgety from the steroids!!!
Anyway, during the week I did manage to reduce to 2.5mg so calmed down but still had the energy to enjoy myself!!!
It was so lovely to be able to walk and breathe relatively normally and to be able to get on and off the floor. Last summer was so awful as my secondaries had not shown up and my hip was so bad I couldn't even get my leg to move to change gears or walk more than 100 yds and when I did I was so breathless there was not much point of doing anything so spent most of last summer in bed!!!!
Hubby, brother-in-law, Woody and youngest cousin went to Dover Castle which was fascinating as now they have opened up the tunnels that were used for WW2 and I managed to do it all. W were glad to have packed a lunch though as the family in front of us had to pay£29 for 4 sandwiches, 4 pieces of cake and 4 small cups of tea!!
The other part of the family went to a zoo and enjoyed themselves.
We also went to the Venetian fete one evening. It is a carnival on water basically. The 5 mayors of the Cinque Ports arrived on a float - there was one man in the middle who didn't have mayoral robes in red but in black and he was huge - reminded me of Henry VIII and we wondered if the pontoon would tip up when he got off!! Fortunately, there were no disasters. There was also a 20 minute fantastic firework display which as wonderful so mum and myself could go 'ooooohhhh' and 'ahhhhh' together. We had had about a 10 minute shower previously but it cleared up and there was a beautiful double rainbow.
We also had a lovely meal with all my side of the family. the service was appallingly slow though!
I also had a lovely shopping day out with mum. It was so lovely to spend a whole day out with her doing 'normal' things - not sure if the bank would agree but it was good fun!!
We then had to leave friday afternoon so that we could come back to spend the night before setting off to Cornwall.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 10:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Where was the Venetian fete? Down on the RM Canal? I think my brain must seriously be going wrong because I can't remember hearing about one before :( Was I missing out all those years in good old Folkestone?
    Ange x

     
  • At 2:43 AM , Blogger dippykate said...

    The Venetian Fete has been held every other year for as long as I can rememember.We moved to Folkestone in 1969 and it was on then!!! It used to be that you saw the Folkestone Carnival and then a couple of weeks later, all the floats would appear on the Royal Military Canal. I've only been once before cos the tickets are from £7 -11 and the carnival was free!!
    Great thinking behind the RM Canal - Of course a canal about 10 feet wide would put Napoleon off - cos he would only have had to cross 20 odd miles of the Channel to get there!!!
    Kate

     
  • At 10:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Maybe something traumatic happened to me at it and I've subsequently blocked it from my memory! That's my theory and I'm sticking to it!
    I definitely agree with you about the brilliant thinking that a 10 foot wide canal would have stopped Napoleon! But don't forget, we had the Martello towers too! Although I always wondered how useful the one in the FSFG grounds would have been, as it wasn't exactly right next to the beach!
    Ange x

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home