fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Friday, August 29, 2008

Home Again
Having just reread this and noticed how many typos there were - can someone please email me in future and get me to re-edit it. It was really bad.
Got home about 4ish on friday from our holiday and I went to bed again for a while and then got the kids and hubby to help unpack a bit.
Spent saturday and sunday being quiet indoors.
Bank Holiday Monday - it occurred to me that it was now exactly a year ago that we went to the special Sail4Cancer day at Redhill. That was such a brilliant day and the weather was definately better that day than today.
We met my sister, her hubby and their 2 youngest at Hollycombe Steam Museum/Fair. It was a good day and I didn't rely on my stick too much. I think mum took it most of the time so I could go on the rides. Sis and I went on a steam powered swing boat and just giggled for ages - she had control of the rope and she enjoyed the power!!! All these hangups and insecurities from our childhood - me always the bossy one and she doing as she was told. Now seems it is the other way round as I'm always having to ask for help which I find hard. We did some of the other rides and tried to get some more photos of us as a family this time instead of just the children. It was a good fun day and due to a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund they now have a decent teashop where you don't spend 45 minutes queuing for a cup of tea!!
On the way back, we stopped at MacDonalds as we felt too lazy to cook for the children and they all needed baths as they looked like chimney sweeps from the coal and soot powered engines.
Tuesday - the children and I packed and we went off to Paradise Park in Newhaven which was good fun. Annoyingly, the Brewers Fayre was still there and so was a Premier Inn. I don't know what I did wrong the other night but I couldn't find any Premier Inns on the website near Newhaven or Brighton but on our travels we found 5!!! The children liked feeding the fish and Laura is always interested in looking at the gemstones and they all like looking at the dinosaurs. I used my scooter so didn't get too tired this time. AJ is totally scared of wasps to the extent he wouldn't eat anything outside at all. We lsot Laura this time though as she went to the toilet outside of the attraction and in the garden centre and so couldn't get back in again. Eventually, I had to get a staff memebr to find her. She was very good and calm about it and logically retraced her steps and got back in just as the staff member was looking for her.
After Paradise Park, we drove into Eastbourne. Laura had forgotten to bring her trainers so needed to buy a cheap pair for tomorrow's outing to Drusillas Zoo Park. Eastbourne had a difficult to navigate one way system but I got there in the end and we got the trainers in the first shop we tried which was a relief.
After that, we drove to the seafront and parked right near to an amusement arcade type place which wasted time and money but made them happy. Then off to find somewhere to eat. I didn't intend to end up at a Haagain but we did. The pea and ham soup was completely different to the one near Broadstairs so not sure whether that means they buy in different types or they do actually cook their own soup!! The initial impression of this Harvester was Ok and we'd got there in time for the Early Bird special prices but then they cooked Laura the wrong dinner so she had to wait 15 mins for her steak and then we waited an hour for puddings so after complaining we got the puddings free.
Then we passed 4 Premier Inns on the way to the Travelodge which was annoying as the children much prefer the Premier Inns like I do. After staying at this one last year, the manager told us that it was being upgraded so I thought it would be OK. I'd even booked though central booking and asked about the size of the 4th bed and was told they all had 4 full sixed beds. Instead, we found it was still grotty and and didn't have a full size 4th bed. the 4th bed was more the size of a cot mattress so got really angry with the girl at reception as felt I'd been lied to twice as had asked when I booked about this and was told all beds adult size now. She wasn't terribly helpful s I couldn't give the name of the person I'd spoken to at central office but I'm sure he didn't give me his name anyway. The place was full so they couldn't move us as she eventually admitted they did have some rooms with full sixed beds in nor could they supply extra pillows as they'd run out so poor Woody had an extra duvet for his feet to rest on and I had to use a duvet for a pillow as well. In the morning, I got a 50% discount but I will take it further as there is nothing on the brochure or the website that says the 4th bed is so small. The bochure actually mentions the age 15 so that would be an interesting scenario!!!
After breakfast at the Little Chef which they enjoyed, we set off for Drusillas and got stuck in a massive queue as there had been a crash just up the road from Drusillas. I again took my scooter - it really has been such a good buy and given me so much freedom to go out on my own with the children and be able to keep going all day and it is also useful to carry lunch on!!
The children enjoyed Drusillas and liked doing the zoo-olympics where you find out if you can run as fast as a certain animal or make as much noise as something else. We all weighed as much as warthogs which seemed strange as there is 5 stone diffference between me and Woody!!! With all my refunds from the previous day, it paid for a proper cooked lunch for all of us. I even managed half a chicken curry even if it did take me ages.
Thursday - I had to get to chemo early so they could do my blood test. I saw the same registrar that I saw last week and got him to recheck which weight and height they had used last week and found they had used a weight which was 16kg heavier and a height of 3 cm more and so this resulted in a 9% overdose. Good job this was the mini weekly dose and not a big 3 weekly dose. So glad I missed out last week's dose as I was away as I was then well enough to enjoy these last 3 days. I made sure I got proper anti sickness tablets this week so hope not to feel as rough as I did last time now I've got the correct dose and the right anti-sickness tablets. Tonight, I can't sleep as I have to have a huge dose of steroids to stop any allergic reaction so the side effects of them is that it stops me from sleeping which is frustrating.
Now I need to organise myself for school next week. I need to get AJ trainers for school and remember Laura has a hair appointment next week and a dental appoinntment. Poor girl- having a molar out the day before she starts secondary school.
Pete's been busy whilst we've been away. He says he hasn't stopped and I'm sure he has been but all I can see is he has painted a shelf!!!
Didn't get back from chemo till 7pm so rather tired then but know the steroids will kick in and I will be awake. I need to be as have friends round tonight. Beginning to think my hair will start to fall out soon so have made an appointment to see the wig lady and then get hospice hairdresser to trim it up better. Also must get some hats - several women had some really good ones on this week.
Laura out on a sleepover so will see her at some point tomorrow.
Desparately need new trousers = only have 1 pair of jeans and 1 pair three quarter lengths that don't fall down. Getting really desparate and can't face Primark. Got a good bargain in Tescos plus some tops as they all look so big now but obviously don't want to spend too much just for one season so may go back there or the M and S outlet or Sainsburys as can't believe the prices in usual Marks. So have got some size 18 Per Una skirts to give away and need size 14 long trousers and a skirt and then empty my wardrobe full of clothes that just fall off me!!!
Let you know how I am on this new lower dose.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home