fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Well I got up early and got on with the packing. I eventually had to wake the twins up as we had to be out by 10am. There was no chance of that especially as I still had 2 mummy sleeping bags to wrestle with. The twins have to have help at camp as it is such a struggle to get these mummy bags into their even smaller bags!!!
With lots of help from middle niece, I managed to get it all packed away and we left about 1020am so not bad really.
The others wanted to go to the Zoo at Sandown - 'Tiger Island - as seen on ITV with Nigel Marven'. None of us had heard of this at all - have you? I think from reading the brochure, the series doesn't start until the summer and that is when Nigel is coming down to open up the new tiger enclosures.
I took AJ into the next door'Dinosaur isle' musuem which he enjoyed and then when we got outside, it was so cold and windy, I felt we'd made the right decision to go home today as it was so cold.
After contacting each other via mobiles, AJ and I also went into the Zoo. What did we do without mobiles? How do non mobile phone users manage??!!
The children were using their eldest cousin's phone with video provision and were making a documentary about the animals. They had a really good time and at lunchtime were editing the film and writing notes on a napkin. Hope we can get to see a copy!!!
The tigers were amazing. I've never seen white tigers before and they are stunning. The new enclosures were lovely and were interactive for the tigers but the old enclosures were very sad looking.
When AJ and I had been at the dinosaur museum, the others had listened to how they were trying to enrich the jaguar's lives by using different knds of scent. They were apparently upset by human smells and din't like the smell of Brut but when it came to Lynx Aftershave, they all got very excited and were dragging the straw round all day and got upset when it was taken away so the adverts may not be true to human life. Well, I've never taken to following men splashed with Lynx down the street so be careful boys if you use it when there are jaguars around!!!
After this, we decided to go back into Ryde again because I wanted to go down the pier and we thought it more likely that we'd get some food there!!! I loved driving down it and seeing the old London Underground train which is used as the mainline servoce on the Island. We got out and admired the Hampshire coast and could see points where we'd been before eg Spinnaker Tower, Fort Nelson and Fort Purbrook plus the outline of the oil refineries!!!
After all this, we adults fancied a cream tea. This again proved impossible as cream tea finished at 330pm and it was now 4pm so we ended up in a posh cafe in Ryde eating a variety of things that were available at that time ie pancakes, cakes but not pizza but I did get to drink tea out of a china cup. I think the chemo is to blame for this desire - normally I'm happy to drink tea out of anything!!!
Back to Cowes where I had to decalre myself 'dnagerous' because of my 2 litre oxygen cylinder and ended up being parked in a little bay away from everyone else!!! Eventually, I found out that I wasn't 'dangerous' just a bit of a 'hazard' but why change a habit of a lifetime now!!
Everything was fine getting on - I didn't make any mistakes this time and parked right next to the disabled lift which was handy. The only problem was just as we were driving onto the ferry, AJ suddenly had a big nosebleed. He's never had one before and nothing seemed to have happened to set it off ie no fighting or losing of tempers was involved. He was well and truly plastered but luckily it was all over his skin and not his clothes but you have to get off the cardeck so we had to move him with his nose still bleeding!! Poor thing.
The journey home was quieter and the children and myself went out on the deck and again looked at the wonderful sights in the solent - Fawley and Hamble oil Refineries being a particular favourite but we did sail close by the Oceona!! What an awful shock it must be for people on cruises to come up the Solent and all you can see is oil refineries and tankers and freight ships!!!
We got home to find hubby had just sold the car!!! He and my sis helped unload the car before his friend picked him up to the usual morris minor pub night!!
It had been a wonderful holiday and thank you so much to the person who made it so easy for me to go away with my family. You know who you are and what you did and we are all so grateful for that. You are a special person.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home