fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I had to go back for a review of my toe nail surgery. 3 sides look fine but to me, one side looks as if there is a pocket of pus under one side. The podiatrist looked at it and thought it was OK but would review it in a month. The waiting room was awful - considering that the majority of ots clients are elderly or infirm, you would have thought the chairs would be suitable for them. Wrong!! - OK the chairs look nice - good corporate image but totally unsuitable for anyone with mobility problems. Whilst I was waiting, 2 elderly people had to be helped to standing as the chairs were too low. My upper back was extremely painful that day and I asked if they had any higher chairs and was told no. In the end, I sat at the back so I could rest my back against the wall. because I was driving I was limited to what pain killers I could take and in the end I was in tears. At the moment, one of Woody's school friends and his dad came in and I ended up crying all over him - poor man. i am going to write to the community Trust's Chief Executive and challenge him to come with me and try out these awful seats. i will see if he will meet the challenge!!!
The last week has been quite difficult as Aj was in hospital for 4 days so poor hubby had to stay in with him as it said on the letter it was for 'clear out and review'!! Overall, everybody was very nice but the treatment was haphazard and AJ never got any breakfast so hubby used the cereal he had taken in for him to eat!!! I was glad hubby was always there as I'm not sure what supervision there was for unacompanied children. As the chairs were low again, i laid on Aj's bed and then the staff found me a higher chair to sit in - this seemed miracaulous after all the other hassle.
The house seemed very quiet with only the twins, mum and myself and it was lovely to have the whole bed to myself so i could spread out all my gubbins everywhere as i seemed to spend a lot of time in bed as i felt quite poorly at times and had a temp of 37.5. The hospital are only interested when it reaches 38degrees!!
I've been getting alot of headaches especially over my right temple so i will have to mention that tomorrow. it is my biggest fear having tumours in my brain.
AJ and hubby came home at 830pm on thursday night with even more medicine than I have. Definately need 2 medicine cupboards for his and mine stuff alone!! I'm sure you don't really know what poor AJ has to take but he has to drink this stuff 4 times a day but he is coping well and now takes it all himself without any fuss. We did have to go back to see the doctor today who was pleased to see that AJ was making progress but we have to go back in 2 weeks to see him again. I suppose that will also encourage us all to keep on top of the situation so that it doesn't happen again. The doctor said he felt he had to send them home on thursday as both hubby and AJ were going stir crazy!!! I will get the nurse consultant to speak to the school so he can go to a private toilet and make sure he drinks plenty. It sounds from what Woody says there is a lot of teasing goes on if a boy uses a cubicle so it seems best if there is somewhere private for him to 'go'.
Laura had a friend over for a sleepover friday night. They seemed to have fun anyway.
This weekend, hubby managed to get the new CV boot on the car so the tesco bag of Life has now met its end!!!
Sunday, we went to Milestones in Basingstoke. This is a museum based in a warehouse which is made to look like a Victorian street with shops and displays etc. The children, of course, couldn't wait until the sweet shop opened!! The museum also had displayed toys from the 60s and household equipment from the 1940s onwards. it was a real trip down memory lane. I saw my Nan's old toaster where you had to turn the toast over yourself and her old hoover and my old golliwog and sindy. There was also a twin tub - see my obsession with washing even extends to seeing exhibits!!!1 Also a mangle and washboard which i remember having at our house in london.
We also bought a box of tiddlewinks which has proved a great success apart from the fact the yellow counters were missing so it's been a 3 player game only!!!
This week it's half term. Yesterday, we went shopping but my scooter's battery was nearly flat so the boys had to go off on their own to buy AJ's pressie as a reward for taking all his medicine and doing as he was told in hospital. The children and I kept finding I gave them static shocks if they touched me and when I pressed the lift button, Laura and I could see a blue spark jump from the end of my finger!!! That sounds very Harry Potterish but it was true and also got a bit painful at times. Woody also bought Mica's - World in Cartoon Motion - which he has been playing in a portable cd player and singing along. It has been hilarious listening to him as usually he is a wonderful singer but he sounds so flat with the Cd player that I secretly recorded it on my mobile - that'll amuse me when I'm getting bored at chemo.
Generally, I've been very tired and now have got mouth ulcers so am worried that I might not have enough white blood cells for my chemo tomorrow.
Had a nice surprise yesterday, my friend had written to Monkey World in Dorset and now I have a 'special day' organised for me in March. Should be fun going around in a Golf Buggy all day especially with those hills there.
Really would like to go away - just hubby and me but it causes the children quite a lot of upset and also don't know if I would be considered fit enough to fly to Scotland as that's where I would like to go back to and it costs a lot of money on the train!! Ridiculous the difference in price of flying and going on the train.
Have still been going to the Hospice once a week but was getting hacked off that I never managed to get any of the complementary therapy or the hairdresser so this week I managed to grab the Reiki man and got Reiki which was lovely but difficul to relax properly in a room where everyone was talking. However, I had a very odd experience and you will probably think I am quite mad but I felt that there was someone else in the room but all I could see was a bright white light and someone sending messages to me saying that death isn't something to be afraid of. It felt like it was coming from the Reiki practitioner who died this week that i only really knew from the forums but she had written to me before and always sent me lots of messages of encouragment when i was feeling down or frightened. In some ways, it was reassuring to feel her presence but in others it made me doubt my sanity but I do feel she was there with me.
Have been enjoying long conversations in bed with the children which got us thinking about what we would like in an ideal world - well apart from the miracle cure that is! What we all wanted was to be able to travel via a Portkey or the other type of transportation described in Harry Potter!!! I also want a minute microwave to warm my wheat bags up and a tiny fridge so I could make a cup of hot milk without getting out of bed and a minute teamaker. They would all need to be smaller than what is available now as there is not much space in our bedroom.
Will try to blog tomorrow to let you know if I have chemo and if I have areaction to it after my rash last time.
Thank you to everybody who has been helping me out whether it is physically or by emailing me or sending me messages via the forums. It is really appreciated but it is going to take some time to reply to you all.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home