fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

I never thought I would ever have a topless photo of me done even when I had 2 boobs let alone now I've only 1 but I did. Intrigued are you???

Firstly, it was now friday and my friend had returned to help me pack for the weekend away. Well, I packed for myself and the children and left a list for hubby to get him to bring coats and wellies and bedtime cuddlies etc and of course his own stuff. This took longer than planned but then it always seems to do and my plan to arrive by noon was now too ambitious. I did get over to East Sussex by 1245pm so not too bad and I planned it right as the lunch was just about to be served.

Various other women were in states of undress (actually nobody was walking round naked - they did have dressing gowns on) and half made up and half hair done.

The idea of this photoshoot was that one of the women off the forum had a daughter who is studying for an MA in photography and she wanted volunteers who had had mastectomies and/or reconstruction to have their photos done for her to submit for her degree and possibly exhibiting somewhere. She wanted to show real women with real bodies rather than the medicalised and sanitised photos women are shown when they face breast surgery.

She actually draped us in white linen so it was satyled in a sort of Reubenesque/Roman feel so that you could see our faces and our chests but not much else.

The makeup/hairwoman was brilliant and did us all slighly different so that it did suit our face shapes etc and made a beautiful job of our hair. Apparently, she had done some work for Trinny and Suzanna in the past and she was definately good at doing make up and hairstyles to suit. We all had our photos done individually and the photographer made us all feel relaxed. I could smile and do coy looks but found it very hard to do 'an attitude' face. I mean i was trying to show I was proud of all my battle scars and imperfections especially after having twins, mastectomy, radiotherapy and a gall bladder removal. It would have looked odd if I was inanely grinning all the time but to show 'attitude' was very hard.
Everyone seemed to enjoy themsleves and some of us stayed on for dinner later. I didn't fancy driving in the rain round the M25 to get to my sister's in that awful weather. I left about 745pm and the M25 was atrocious around Clacketts Service Station, the spray from the road was awful and there kept being huge puddles.
I eventually got to the Travel Lodge - I found it first time this time. It helped that the sign was lit up this time!! Hubby went straight to my sister's house as he had no faith in the map he'd gor off the internet. He'd had a horrible journey where the car kept vibrating and wobbbling ands it was coming from the front passenger side wheel. He dropped Woody off at his cousins and my sister came over to collect Woody's things for the night. She had already changed into her PJs and came over complete with boots and big coat and was anxious not to see anybody. At this point we realised, AJ had not brought his coat even though he'd been asked too and it was in a place where he could have brought it into the car!! Looks like I now need to buy yet another coat!!!
We settled to sleep but got woken up at 330am by the fire alarm. It was ear piercing but AJ managed to sleep through it and it only went off for about 10 minutes but it was excrutiatring noise. I went out into the corridor and met a very drunk man but nobody was leaving the place and as we were on the ground floor we knew we could get out of the window and onto the grass easily if we needed to get out. We just went back to sleep!!
Saturday morning, we went off to my sister's and her hubby cooked bacon and sausage for those that wanted it and thosee going to the Spurs vs Reading match went off which left myslef, hubby, AJ and Laura plus their middle cousin. We had to do a trip to Tescos to buy a coat for AJ before heading off to a Tropical Wings and Things place. We started off by watching a Parrot show given by a man who sounded like Harry Enfield's Zavros (?spelling) and the parrots were not always on their best behaviour. One just skimmed over AJ's head and then proceeded to eat a peanut and spit out the shell over hubby's head. There was also a lovely butterfly part with koi, hummingbirds, bats and finches and tortoises. What is it with tortoises - they are always attempting to hump each other whenever I see them!!! Laura pointed out that 1 of the bats who was on his own was definarely a male as you could you see his bits and outside the donkeys were randy too!! Very early for spring fever I would have thought!!
The best bit was feeding the wallabies. They had brown and albino ones and you could see the joeys moving in their mum's pouches and then one actually poked his head out and was trying to eat the food too. It was so sweet!!! It was never something that I thought I'd want to see but it was so cute. They are fond of bananas and cabbage but not carrots!!!
That night, the twins decided to stay the night with their cousins so we only had AJ in our room. This time we got woken up at midnight by drunks but I suppose this happens in hotels like this.
Sunday- we just got up and packed slowly before going back to my sister's. Hubby and my sister took the children to the park whilst I sat and read the papers and bro-in-law cooked a sunday roast.
Hubby had to do something to the car to make sure he could get back to our house OK. He took the front wheel off and found the CV boot had completely split so he needed to do some kind of Heath Robinson job to stop the oil and wheel rubbing. He decided to use a bag for life and cable ties to act as a buffer. He did a little test drive and then we hoped he could drive the 120 miles back home without it falling off!!!
As we left we could not see any wobbling and it seemed OK so we drove back home. We had to keep overtaking each other so we could look to see if the wheel looked wobbly but it was fine. In the olden days, it was always a nylon stocking you needed for car repairs and according to the Thomas books, a leather boolace was used to mend a brake but in this modern age, cable ties and Bags for Life are obviously the thing. I wonder if the offer of a new bag if a Bag for Life breaks would still be valid if it has been used as a buffer in a car wheel!!!
I'm trying to think of what else I've used a bag for life for but usually it's mundane things like putting some wet washing in before hanging it out on the line or for the christmas cards or putting more bags for life in. I've never seen them used for car repairs before have you??? I think it is the sort of story that should make the local paper don't you!!
Talking about the media, there is a 5 minute extract of my podcast on http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/
You need to just find the link to the December podcast and you can hear me with a gravelly voice as I had a cold at the time extolling the virtues of their site and their awaydays!!! They have totally ignored all the other points I've raised about the lack of support for anybody with secondary cancer and how I've been treated. It sounds like an advert for breast cancer care!!! I've now got to get the full tape as I think for my family and friends it would be good for them to listen to and think I need to write/record another piece of what it is really like to live with this uncertainty of secondary cancer and how the support of the NHS is non-existent for people like me and this time try to get it published without it being used as a publicity drive for a certain organisation. I will have to make sure about the copyright issue but if I start from a different point and use different words and order then am I breaking any copyright and can I plagurise myself!!!
If anybody knows the answer to this, please can you let me know and also what unusual things have you used a Bag for Life for.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home