fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

I had a 9am appointment for chemo so hubby had to go to work late so I could get there on time. I saw the other consultant this time who said my creatinine was within normal limits and my blood proteins were not that bad and that my other blood results were fine. He then said 'so you've come for your Day8 Gemcitabine and the herceptin and zometa. I was rather taken aback to say the least. A month ago I was considered untreatable and then after loads of persuasion, they agreed I could have one dose of the carboplatin/gemcitabine combo and then last week they said I was too weak to have the whole raft of drugs and now one week later they want to give me the whole lot!!! I just agreed and then sat ansd waited to go in. I had gone on my own as I thought my treatment would only be about 45 minutes and now we were looking at about 2 hours. This turned into 3 hours as my vein became so painful, they had to dilute it all down and it took ages. as i was on my own, it meant I had no lunch and nothing to drink. I finished about 345pm and then went to the memory Box/scrap book shop to pickup further supplies as my friend was supposed to be coming over to help me with more pages. However, by the time i got home I was so exhausted I just went to bed at 430pm and asked hubby to wake me up at 6pm as he was going out to his morris minor drinkies. I texted my friend to say I felt unwell and to cancel this evening. He also thought I looked awful and so thought it best to wake me up at the last possible moment which was 5 minutes before going out. My friend arrived as she hadn't read her text from me and the childrewn were all up. It was a good job she was here as then the internet shopping turned up - i'd forgotten that - so she helped me unpack it all. i got the children into bed and opened the oven door to find a roast dinner which looked and smelt lovely but I could not face eating it. I then realised that all the christmas decorations were up and we would be away for the 12th night and I just got so upset and stressed as I hadn't eaten or drunk enough and couldn't cope with the thought of packing tomorrow for the weekend and soerting out the decorations I just burst into tears and phoned a friend. She came round armed with a tin of soup for me and proceeded to cook that for me and to get down the cards. This was not an easy task for her as she is shorter than myself so needed various chairs to stand on to reach them. Eventually, once I'd eatewn and drunk and calmed down I felt so much better. So a big thank you for coming to rescue me in my hour of need and sorry to my friend who had cooked a beautiful dinner that I ended up wasting because I'd got myself too wound up to eat it.
so 2 bad days in a row then - or rather 2 very tearful days.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home