fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Can' t remember what we did on New Year's Day so it can't have been terribly exciting can it!!!!

On Wednesday, I had to take the children into town to buy the twins new winter coats. Woody had had his stolen just before the end of term and Laura had outgrown hers. We got up early and parked near the city walls which is close to the shops and meant I could get my mobility scooter out with the help of the twins. We struggled and with a lot of huffing and puffing we got the scooter ready - only to discover that I had not bought the ignition key with me!!! So we had to reverse the process and get the scooter back into the car and drive round to the shopmobility place right by the walls rather than the one inside the shopping complex which I normally use. Luckily, they had 1 scooter left but the poor woman in charge was very stressed about the whole thing and Woody couldn't believe how quickly she read out the rules and regulations to me!!! The scooter was older and bigger than ones I've used before and it also did not have any speed to it. To say I struggled with it is a bit of an understatement. I crashed several times into lifts and clothes racks especially in Accessorize where the counter staff seem to be completely oblivious to people in wheelchairs etc and Peacocks where they are obviously more interested in trying to shift sales stuff rather than have accessible walkways. The creme de la creme was in BHS where the staff were wonderfully helpful in the cafe but I could not control the scooter and ended up crashing into the table with the hot coffee and freezing coke 3 times. How none of it ended up in AJ's lap I don't know. I think 'someone' was watching over me.
The boys wanted to buy their new cousin a toy so I sent Woody and AJ into Boots whilst Laura and I went into another shop to look for a coat for her but with no luck.
I managed to buy a coat in the first shop we went into for Woody. Typical young boy - not so interested in fashion yet so if the first coat fits- then that's the one that will do!!!! If only it was so simple with Laura!!! After much searching, we could not find any coats for Laura. They were all waist length or else not very warm. In the end we gave up and I texted my sister who goes shopping much more than I do and who has a daughter the same age as Laura to see if she could look for a suitable coat for her.
We then went home for a quick lunch before going out - much to AJ's disgust as he wanted to stay in and play with his toys. This time we went to the main hospital where I needed a blood test for tomorrow's chemo. Somehow I got confused and ended up at the wrong end but as luck would have it, I met my favourite blood lady who was just going into the ward to take blood so I went with her and hey presto, my blood was taken first time without any problem at all and no waiting in a queue!!
We then went into the maternity hospital to see hubby's newest nephew and the children's newest cousin. He was fast asleep but looked very cute. Aj wanted to know what he got up to as I suppose he has really only had contact with babies over 6 months old so it was all a mystery to him. Then hubby's parents turned up and so did his oldest sister and as there was only supposed to be 3 to a bed and Laura was beginning to cough we left and went up to the genetics department as I knew I had not completed a certain form for them to continue looking for a gene for breast and oesophageal cancer.
As I was paying for the car park, the children started arguing and fighting and I completely lost it and started shouting at them and saying things like 'I will die quicker if they stress me' and 'my cancer is close to my heart and if it is stressed I will die'.
In the end we were all in tears and I felt awful but at the same time, it is partly true. My cancer is right up against my right side of my heart and against my aorta (the main blood vessel out of the heart) so I don't want to put added stress on my heart. I then couldn't manouevre the car out of the car park. The disabled car park at the hospital has a very narrow entrance and exit and you have to approach it head on in a straight line or else you can not turn into it at all. Of course, by this stage I was in such a state I couldn't do this and ended up on the pavement bit and was really unable to reverse because of a metal pole and had all these people tooting at me and no-one offered to help and I know most of the drivers were able bodied as I'd seen them with their disabled passengers.
I felt so awful that we ended up going into MacDonalds and had a horrendously long wait for the food. I just bought a tea and some extra chips for the children. I decided I would eat a couple of chips which was a big mistake since I was still feeling so stressed, they go stuck so I ended up regurgitating them and a little tea into the Happy Meal Box. I felt really awful as now I was causing the children stress.
We went home and within 5 minutes of being home there was a big flash and we had no electricity again. This time it was dark and the emergency torch was not in its place and AJ was scared of the dark. Eventrually we found the matches and lit up some candles and Laura found the camping lantern in her bed!!??!!! The odd thing was that when we opened the door we noticed that the majority of houses had electricity. However many times hubby tried, the trip switch would not work so we were contemplating who we could ask so hubby went outside and noticed that some of the lamp posts were out and so were some of the neighbours' house lights. We then discovered that in our short road - highest house number is 52 so the road is not long - that there are 3 different circuits and so our circuit was the only one that had failed from where it had had the fire in the box last time and the other 2 circuits were still working. We tried phoning the electricity board - it was one of those press the star button and then options 1,2,3 or 4 and about 10 mins later I managed to talk to a human being who said the main fuse had gone and an engineer was on his way to fix it. About an hour later, power and peace returned!!!
It was not the best day of my life and I ended up feeling a really bad mum by losing my temper and scaring them more than I should have done. Aj's biggest fear is that I will die when he is at school so all I've achieved is frightening him more.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home