fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Saturday, December 29, 2007

i met my friend off the local ferry which had been delayed by a bigger ferry breaking down just outside the port entrance and was being towed in by tugs. After that it was an easy journey to the hospital. It was 9am and the waiting room was already half full. There were 3 clinics at once but I saw the oncologist at 915 even though I hadn't had my blood taken by then. I had utter faith he would order it. He commented on that I seemed so much better and gave me a piece of paper for 3 weeks for the third dose.
We then waited till 1pm to be called into the treatment room for the start of what I thought would be a marathon session of drug infusions. I had the gemcitabine over the hour and then the carboplatin over just under an hour and then sat and waited for the herceptin and zometa(bone strengthener) for about another 45 minutes, the nurses hunted high and low for the drugs and then we found out that the oncologist did not want me to have these other 2 drugs until next week as he thought it would be too much for my body. This made me very angry as the onc had walked through the treatment room about an hour previously so he could have told me then. The receptionist was jsut about to go home so she had to squeeze me in for next week. It is the children's first day back at school and my appointment is at 9am so will have to leave at 8am and also go to the hospital for my blood test with the children on the last day of their school holiday!!!
It also made me worry that there was something wrong with my blood tests and it was too late to ask anybody as the medics had left the building.
Got home about 430pm in a not too happy mood but at least I could eat turkey curry without a problem which is amazing considering it was only 6 hours after treatment.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home