fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Friday, August 10, 2007

Mud -There is a poem in one of the children's books that says 'I like mud'. After last saturday, I'm not sure I agree!!
We had AJ's best friend for a sleepover on the friday night and then I had to drive over to the cub camp to pick up Woody. I thought it would be a good idea whilst we were in the forest to go for a walk through the stream in our usual place as it is good fun splashing through the puddles and there is usually a rope swing up to play on. It got off to a reasonable start - both young boys were soaked in a matter of minutes but it was warm weather so it didn't matter plus we had spare clothes. The rope swing was there and the 4 children enjoyed that. We then set off to the ice cream van following our usual route when we got to a muddy patch. Laura picked her way through and emerged the other side in pristine condition. I had my crocs on and just thought 'oh well, they'll clean off'. How wrong I was!!! AJ's friend just starting sinking in the swamp, Aj's welly boots got stuck in the mud and he was walking and sinking in mud. Poor Woody was trying to pull friend out but he kept sinking, Aj was sinking and so was I. Eventually, one of my crocs came off and broke and just disappeared under the mud hwich was scary. The 2 youngest boys were knee deep in sinking mud and it got quite scary!! I got to the stage where I thought we would have to ask for help from the firemen as it was sinking mud and I was getting very worried. Eventually, we got out but I was covered in mud completely. In all my years of camping and adventure holidays I have never been that muddy!! My feet were just mud balls!! The 2 youngest boys were competely mud bathed too. Woody was a real star and went back to the car to get towels and my welly boots so we could continue to get to the icecream van!! We walked upto the toilet block and managed to just about clean ourselves up enough in a sink about 6 inches wide so we could eat an icecream and then find our way back. On the way back, the best friend was running through the stream when he fell over so got even more wet and muddy!!
Once back at the car, we had to change clothes and clean up a bit more. Luckily Woody had a huge plastic bag for our wet clothes which he had not used at cub camp. We used baby wipes to clean up a bit and the children could change clothes apart from me. Remember this is my new car as well!!
I then decided there was no way that I could survive without my crocs so drove into town via going home and went to the shoe shop to buy more. Not one person stared at me yet I was completely covered in mud!!!! It made the shoe shop lady laugh though!!!
When I returned home, all the neighbours were out so they all saw what a state I was in!!!!
We had to bath the boys and poor hubby spent ages scrubbing the clothes clean. I couldn't get the mud off me in the shower!!!! Laura had to help me clean myself up and I had to soak my feet for ages.
So -beware if i ever offer to take your child to the stream in the New Forest - beware!!!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home