fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Chemo day - I knew having an 11.30 appointment would not be a good thing but I didn't hink it would be as bad as it turned out. There was nowhere to sit when we turned up which is not an encouraging sign and then waited till after 1pm to see the consultant. I agreed I would go on the trial for the bone building drug. I asked how long pharmacy would take to make the drugs up and was then told that they would not be bale to fit me in today and I would have to come back tomorrow. As I was going on the trial drug I needed to sign a consent form and have 2 x-rays. Firstly, the radiographer was on lunch break and then the nurse researcher disappeared. I spent about 30 minutes going from B to C level trying to track people down!!
Trying to make appointments for next week and 2 weeks time also turned out to be a frustrating experience. All the early appointments had gone because all the women who had earlier appointments had already taken them. This means I can now never get an early appointment. It really ought to be done on an alternative basis so that everybody takes their turn in being early and late.
We came home and at least this gave me some time to talk to my hubby so I suppose all was not lost.
Friday - I had to be at chemo at 9am which we just about did as it was raining so the traffic was extra bad. I was second on the list. One of the nurses had come in especially as she felt so bad about what had happened the day before. Apparently 11 out of 55 women had to return friday morning. Pharmacy had been so slow that the nurses had not had anything to do at one point. This now meant that all the friday people were having to wait until the thursday women finished so I dread to think what time they finished.
This time I was brave and didn't have any sedation and the nurse was good and found a vein easily. I had IV hydrocortisone and it worked really well. The vineralbine didn't hurt this time. Due to this bone building drug research I was having, I had to sign forms which was difficult because by this time I'd already got a drip in my right hand and I can't write with my left!! This was the only drug not already made up and the pharmacist had a temper tantrum in front of me over it. The research nurse, my friend and myself couldn't believe how she acted. John McEnroe would have been proud! I can't believe she didn't realise I was there and that I could actually hear what was being said. By the time this drug had been given it was 11.30 before we left.
As my sister and her 3 daughters and a boyfriend were coming down, hubby and I had to do a quick reorganisation of beds etc and hoovering before they arrived.
They arrived at 9pm and we did actually manage to get the youngest children to bed by 10pm and a little adult time before bed.
During the night, I became freezing and I thought this was just a side effect to the bone drug. By the morning, I felt very hot but better after paracetamol. I was determined to go to Monkey World. Poor hubby had the 5 younger children and I went with my sister, her eldest daughter and her boyfriend. I had booked a motorised scooter which was a real benefit as it is so hilly there. By this time, my mouth was also full of ulcers and I found it difficult all day to eat anything and I was relying on neurofen and parecetamol to keep my temperature down.
Monkey World was brilliant. This time we saw lots of activity. The 3 baby orangotangs were so cute. One of them held onto a towel all the time but eventually dropped it and then another one weed all over it. We also saw the baby chimps. The children could identify the chimps from the programme and were so thrilled by it all. Of course, another highlight was the adventure playground. The adult men did not let us down and showed off their prowess on how high they could they get the huge rope swing go and if it was possible to do this on their own. Who could climb up the fastest, jump down from the highest point etc. It was definately easy to see that man had descended from apes!! I even had a go on one of the circular swings. One of the aims of the day was to get video of me. Surprise, surprise the monkeys got more coverage. How can I make myself more cute than I already am?
At the end of the day, we all drove back to the pub where my youngest niece had got locked in the loo. No incidences this time but I was surprised by how much oldest niece and boyfriend could eat!!!
Sadly, they all had to go home that night but it had been a brilliant day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home