fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Monday, September 18, 2006

Off to Norfolk - I had an invitation to go to Norfolk for a few days before I got my CT results and bone scan results. This seemed a brilliant idea as I needed the distraction. My friend had even looked up the coach times and prices so all I had to do was book it and arrange childcare. Even in my state, I managed that. My mum came up to look after the children and I went up on the sunday morning coach to London. A quick lunch at Starbucks and off on the next coach to Norfolk. It was all so simple and straightforward and even a reasonably comfortable seat. I arrived sunday evening and as my friend was working till 11pm, I had tea with her husband and younger son. The next day was hot and sunny so we went off to Holkham Beach. It was a bit of a trek to get to the beach but if I went slowly with my stick I could actually manage it. We must have looked a strange sight - 2 women of a certain age just plonked down on chairs in the middle of the beach just chatting. It was wonderfully relaxing and we could have been anywhere as the sea was so turquoise. Eventually, hunger got the better of us and we went off to Norfolk Lavendar for lunch. the only problem being that they had finished serving lunch an hour ago and all that was left was 2 soggy sausage rolls. It filled the gap!! We then went to a houseware/hardware shop which was really unusual and had lovely wicker/Lloyd loom furniture and really gorgeous bedding. I then fell asleep in the car on the way home - not for any other reason than I was tired and relaxed.My poor friend was not relaxed - a warning light had come on the dashboard and the car kept faltering. Anyway, we made it back home.
That evening was very relaxing - really girly stuff - film, wine and snuggled under a duvet.
The next day we went to Walsingham - a very spiritual and relaxing place. The church was very moving and we both lit candles.
The next day and it was time to go home. We arrived at the coach stop in the village about 1020 for the 1040 coach. There were no seats or shelters on that side of the road and it was hard for me to stand for this length of time. By 1105, I'd had enough and phoned the coach company. Apparently, the coach had broken down about 10 miles away and they were waiting for a replacement and it would be about an hour. I asked what I could do as I couldn't remain standing. They asked me if my friend could take me to Fakenham which she did. We arrived there at 1140 to find that the replacement coach had not arrived or even started its journey from Great Yarmouth. We did what any woman would do and went to the coffee shop across the road with the amazing name of the Dancing Goat. Very disappointingly, we didn't see any goats dancing but the coffee was lovely. Eventually, the coach appeared and by the time the driver had transferred our luggage over, the old coach had been repaired. It was only a split radiator hose so why a local engineer could not have come out initially was beyond comprehension. We set off 2 hours late!! The coach driver's original itinery was to drive to Stratford in East London and for him to meet the returning Cromer coach. Due to the delay, this was rearranged butt he arrangements kept altering. The driver, Adam, was fantastic and everytime he spoke to his control he left the phone on speakerphone so we all could hear what was being said. The story kept changing but eventually it was decided by someone that our coach would drive to the services near Stanstead and the coach from London to Cromer would meet us there and the drivers would swap over. We arrived at Stanstead at 1510 and the driver told us the coach would be to us about 4pm. At least, this unscheduled stop meant we could get something else to eat and drink. We were also told that the operations room would ensure that all the customers with onward journies would be booked onto the next available coach once we'd arrived at Victoria. Well, we sat at the Services and there was no sign of the coach. Eventually, a passenger got hold of the operations room and was told that the Cromer bound coach had only just left and that we would have to swap coaches!! Our driver had not been told this and had to phone up himself to get this information. Eventually, the coach arrived and we left at 1710. This coach and its driver was not employed by National Express and he used his mobile as we were driving down the motorway. I mean he was not using it handsfree but just using it. Rather frightening really!! We eventually got back to London at 1830 which was about the time I should have arrived at southampton. By this time, I was in a lot of pain and was finding it difficult to move myself and my luggage. Despite me buying a disabled concessionary ticket, I got no help until I was in tears and a fellow passenger got me help. The Southampton coach driver was very rude and unhelpful and pointed out I'd missed my coach by 4 hours - I knew that, thnak you. National Express had never booked our forward journey even though they said they would. I arrived home at 2130 and was rather tired and exhausted.
NB - before I went off I went down to motobility at the shopping centre and hired a motorised scooter thing. It was brilliant - I could get to parts of town I've not been able to get to for months. The only problem is they do not have brakes - you have to anticipate when you want to stop and let go of the handle. I did crash into a lift at one point which was a bit scary. Everybody is really helpful apart from the actual shoppers in ASDA who appear to have no idea at all of anything that is happening around them apart from their own shopping needs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home