fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Them bones - I forgot to say in my last post that my mum had found an old walking stick and it made such a difference to how far I could walk. I've found that I'm getting a lot of pins and needles now in my leg and my lower back is hurting and across my shoulders is sore. I'm getting very worried that I won't start the radiotherapy soon enough for it to be effective. Anyway, friday was bone scan day. The twins went off to Nan's and went out bowling and AJ went to school and the after school club. I had trouble getting back from the school so I don't know how I'm going to get the children to school from now on.
The nuclear medicine department was quite quiet at 1230 and the nurse made me lots to drink and even made me a cup of tea and found me a foot stool. By the time the radioactivity had worked itself round me, there were quite a few people around. I got on the machine table without any help and this time asked for a blanket as the aircondtioning makes it so cold. So far so good. I didn't even panic when the machine was close to my head and I didn't have an itch I couldn't scratch. Then I saw the results on the screen. I could see a big white patch in my left hip and either in my last few vertebrae or my pelvis and in my 'old' vertebra in my chest. There were also some funny patches elsewhere but I think that is where my body was closest to the machine. At the end of the test, I got lits of attention. They helped me up very gently and found me my shoes and even carried my bag. This was not reassuring at all - made me feel as if they thought I was going to fall apart any second. Hardly subtle is it!!
Since then - my blue badge has arrived. Hurray - perhaps I can go shopping now. I used it at the library today so I could park nearby and I used it at the Co-Op. The children are very impressed. Laura thinks I should get a mobility scooter and I agree, as the shops are so spread out, I can't manage the lower and top end at the same time or even the shopping centre itself without lots of sit downs. It would be useful for the school run but a nuisance to everyone else as well though.
Now have to wait until the 14th to get the reults of the scans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home