fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Friday, September 22, 2006

chemo day again - It had seemed a quick week since we last went there. Today I had a 9am nurse appointment. Hurray - the nurses always see people on time. WRONG!! She wouldn't see me till my blood tests results were in so didn't go intill about 10am. There was a different nurse doing the blood tests and she took 3 attempts and then none of them would stop bleeding and it felt as if my vein had popped. it still hurts today. I'm not seeing her agian. My confidence was then dented further by the site of another lady's arm where the vinarelbine had come out of the vein and caused a massive and very painful area which was ulcerating. She'd been in hospital 5 days and may need plastic surgery to put it right. That was enough to send mew over the edge.
Anyway, the nurse appointment went OK and will now start on a bone rebuilder to help with the pain in my bones. Trouble is I've got to decide whether to have the traditional one that takes 50 minutes to run through or go on a trial and have a daily tablet or an unfusion over 15 minutes. Although this has been a big trial, 5 women have had jaw osteonecrosis - basically the jaw bone dies and your teeth falls out!! I really don't fancy that. Difficult decision. She also gave me the number of the MacMillan nurses so that I can chase them up and she is chasing radiotherapy.
Eventually around 1pm, we were called in to the chemo room. Again, it was a different nurse and although I knew she was a nurse practitioner so had to be good, I'm finding it hard to trust people until I know them. They gave me a lorazepam which definately worked and I relaxed. Actually, I wanted to go shopping but time was short and I think being under the influence I could not have been trusted!!! I had a lovely sleep when I got home and my back pain went due to the muscle relaxant.
The children and hubby were very helpful -good job or they would have had no tea!! A friend had cooked us tea so that was lovely.
Woody and hubby spent the early evening helping me make a powerpoint birthday card for a cyberfriend whose birthday it is today and it seems everybody is ignoring it. Just hope her sense of humour is the same as ours.
I spent 49 minutes talking to my eldest niece. (apparently a short call) She talked me through setting up a new email account and I actually understood it and achieved it so well done Emz. We had a good laugh about people's unfortunate names and also discussed music. Times have changed - I could not imagine discussing current music with my uncle or any other adult at that age
Today, my whole right arm feels sprained due to the irritation in the veins and I think I've developed RSI from my overuse of the computer so I think this will be it for today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home