fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Eek - a mouse and the tale of crumbly nails
I didn't think I would panic about a mouse in my house but I'm not a happy bunny or anything else at present!! Hubby texted me this morning to say there was a mouse in the kitchen. I thought he meant one that he'd seen at work not in our kitchen so wasn't initially phased. However, this evening as I was making a cup of tea, a mouse came from the cereal cupboard and went under the cupboard by the sink. I tried very hard not to scream and calmly told Laura to fetch Daddy. He hunted around and couldn't find it but did come across some paperwork and a packet of biscuits hidden under the cupboard!! When I emptied the cereal cupboard I found some poo on its floor which made me feel ill. I was distinctly unhappy. I can't find any holes in the boxes so have the uncomfortable inkling that it is actually climbing in the boxes and eating cereals. I feel like throwing the whole lot away!! However, for tonight, I have put all the boxes in plastic bags so am hoping I won't find a suffocated mouse in the morning. Laura is very worried about this as she is worried it will go hungry and wants me to put down some seeds and water for it overnight. So, I do this or not!! I'm currently trying to find a humane mousetrap and came across a very Heath Robinson contraption via Google. It comprises of a plastic tray, a metal baking tray, a coctail stick and a bamboo kebab stick plus the ubiquitous peice of cheese. (Although sources close to Google tell me, mice are fond of chocolate). It makes Blue Peter craft ideas seem easy!! I'll have to get hubby to make one up later!!! Unsurprisingly, Laura had already known about this idea from somewhere! I think I'll leave that subject there now and go onto more mundane matters.
I don't want to get too excited but I think there is a layer of fluff appearing on my head. Typical, now it's warming up to get my hair back. I remember last time, it seemed to stay that while for a while before it became obvious hair growth so will have to wait and see if anybody else comments.
Unfortunately, my nails have not got the message that the taxotere has stopped. They are flaking away and it looks as if I chew them and also smoke 60 a day as they are going a strange colour. For some reason, the yellowing is worse on my toes and one of my little toe nails is disappearing. My fingernails by the lower cuticles have lovely stripes and ridges on and judging by some of the false nails I have seen, some people actually pay for this look and I've got it free. Yippee for me!! I hate having short nails - I can't pick anything up. Hope they come through stronger eventually.
I am less tired than I was and have missed out quite a few afternoon sleeps but still need to go to bed early. I'm very tired around 4-5pm but at least hubby has been home then so has helped with the cooking.
Tonight, Woody went to cubs to do archery at the local scout camp. He came back hungry, thirsty and muddy!! He wants to do his Information Technology badge so spent yesterday making a poster for it. Hopefully, next week he can get his badge.
AJ keeps talking about his birthday which he wants at home!! Wondering about the Bouncy castle route but seems a bit risky. Will need to have a further think but not tonight as my bed beckons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home