fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Another Friday, another trip to the hospital
After a miserable week suffering from the side effects ofthe taxotere, I felt so poorly on Friday morning that I knew I had to go in and see the chemotherapy team. I had 2 infected toe nails, a sore throat, conjunctivitis and the radiotherapy area was raw and weeping and my guts still hadn't recovered. To make matters worse the twins were also poorly. After 2 phone calls, 2 friends arrived - one to look after the poorly twins and one to look after poorly me. Not sure who got the worse deal!! Once at the hospital, I had the usual blood tests, saw the doctors, had swabs done and waited for results inbetween chatting to my friend who I hadn't seen for 2 weeks so we had a lot of chatting to do!! Eventually, I got the results and was told I was neutropaenic, meaning I had no white blood cells to fight infections but as I didn't have a temperature I could go home. 4 hours after arriving I went home with loads of supplies of antibiotics, painkillers and dressings. Now I must remember to take them and also renew my prepaid prescription certificate as it runs out this week. It seems very odd that although I get all the chemo free, I have to pay for all the things to ease the side effects of the chemo like the anti-sickness pills, antibiotics etc!!
Hopefully, next friday I can avoid seeing the hospital again!!

1 Comments:

  • At 1:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    HI Kate-I can't believe you still have to pay for prescriptions!! I feel such a cheat being only a diabetic that I get mine free!! It would seem that £6 pounds odd is a little amount to pay for me each month. Even given statins and antihypertensives I would only pay about £20 a month..............I am wondering how I could start a campaign to get these things free for those in your circs. Even though I deal every day with folks in dire cardiac circumstances, I feel very strongly that folk with any cancer should not have to pay prescription fees. I am about to write to my MP.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home