fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Monday, January 09, 2006

It's true! My invisible friend came to life!!

One of my earliest childhood memories is that of having an invisible friend. Like most invisible friends, this one was always to blame for anything naughty that happened. 'It wasn't me. It was him. He did it.' I'm sure you probably have experience of this kind of thing. Anyway, his name was Peter.
This name became very important to me or else I had a very serious lack of imagination when it came to naming male things. I had an Uncle Peter (infact I still do!!) then came a rabbit and a budgie. My obsession with this name became legendary in my family so we all thought it very funny when my sister starting seeing a Peter and joked it should have been me. My current boyfriend at the time was yet another non-Peter.
About a year later, having moved around between Kent and London and being on my own again, I decided to answer a lonely hearts advert in the local freebie paper. I left my name, telephone number and a few 'interesting' facts about myself on the telephone number and waited for a reply. That saturday I had decided to work in the garden and was busily trying to hammer in a stake for a plant . I gave the stake one more blow and the hammer bounced back and hit me on the head at the same time as the phone rang. I answered it with the classic line 'you'll have to excuse me, I've just hit myself over the head with a hammer'. In retrospect, I think the caller should have just put the phone down but I'm very glad to say he didn't. I listened to his amazing voice and then he said his name. Yes, his name was Peter and we started to see each other regularly and the rest as they say is history.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I always had a dream that my partner would be Scottish(having spent a lot of time away that was important) and now I've met him, I realise how lucky we are. Some people never meet their dream partner and are constantly looking. I wasted a lot of time but have found a lovely man and now have an incurable disease as well(though I have a chance to do something about that and am grateful for that)I intend to use all opportunities I can to tell him how much I care about him-we always forget that,and just what matters in life................

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home