fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Monday, February 13, 2006

Hospital again and again - but not me this time!!
Well would you believe it!! A week after I came out poor AJ went in to hospital with his usual problem. We'd taken him to the doctor twice and casualty once where I got short shift from the nurse but the doctor was kind. Eventually, we got an appointment at the emergency paediatric assessment clinic on the wednesday. We were there over lunch time but didn't get offered any food!! At least, AJ had his packed lunch with him and the play therapist made me some toast!!!I was causing the unit problems because they had a lot of children with high temperatures and stomach bugs and I had no immunity so it was urgent we got hubby back to swap places. Eventually, we got it sorted and we swapped places around 4pm.
Unfortunately, I got back too late to take Laura to the doctor about her continuing stomach pain so my mum did that and the doctor actually phoned me at home later to discuss this which was good. The GP diagnosed irritable bowel syndrome which was a bit of a surprise. I'd discussed Laura's pain and loss of colour with the doctor at the assessment unit and she wondered if Laura got abdominal migraine so it did not seem clear cut.
AJ came out of hospital the next day and we settled back into our usual routine. However, Laura's stomach pain, intermittent high temperature and loss of colour continued happening every few days. She had a couple of really good days - including spending about 6 hours on a trampoline outside!!! Then, the following Friday night at 2am, she appeared in our bedroom very distressed, in pain and with a temperature of 38.5 so I called the emergency doctor. He appeared at 4am and he arranged for her to be admitted so poor hubby had to get up and take her in and stay the night. The lack of sleep and stress was obviously getting to him. He phoned me at 7am to say he was going to work and could I be at the hospital at 8am for the doctor's rounds. I was so spaced out and deeply asleep, I just said yes with no intention of getting there for 8 at all!! He then phoned back at 7.15 to say he'd got to work and they'd sent him home again so he was going back to the hospital!! Laura was eventually seen by the doctors who thought maybe it was an abdo migraine but would send a scan appointment and an outpatient appointment. She seemed much better which was good.
So now, not only do I have multiple hospital appointments but AJ had a blood test appointment and an outpatients appointment on a different day and Laura is waiting for a scan and outpatient appointment . I think perhaps we should put a tent up in the grounds of the hospital - it would save the petrol and parking money!!
At least Woody seems OK (touch wood) and Hubby is OKish (touch wood again).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home