fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Thursday, May 01, 2008

Wheezing and Puffing
I'm sitting here shaking from all the ventolin I've inhaled to try to get my breathing back on track. I can't believe I only finished antibiotics for my throat 2 days ago and yesterday the doctor told me my chest was clear although I didn't feel it was right as my breathing felt slightly painful. Then this morning when I woke up, my chest was definately not clear.
All the family have had these nasty colds and coughs and poor Laura has been unwell since sunday which is so unusual for her. Yesterday, she alternated between being ghostly white and a red hot poker but the same GP said her chest was clear and her tonsils only slightly swollen. They looked huge to me and were covered in white spots but as usual you are told it is a virus. Are they doing anything about treatment for viruses does anybody know?? I'm so caught up in the cancer world that any other part of health issues just passes me by.
It is so hard to put myself first even though I know I should so I never went to the doctor's this morning as we had a 45 min drive over to see the orthodontist. The only place to park was in a staff bay so Woody went off to ask if that was ok and was told it was. Sure you can see what is going to happen next!! The twins thought the place was very posh and I suppose as it is in Milford on Sea you would expect that. I explained I couldn't walk far and my back was really painful so we sat down at the bottom instead of going upstairs. Woody was seen by the lovely orthodontist but immediately went into panic mode when they were trying to take an xray. I'm sure we are going to have to try something like hypnotherapy to get him through all the orthodontic work he will need unless anybody else has any other ideas?
After all this panic on monday about a short window of opportunity to get his mouth right, the orthodintist thinks it will be about 2 years before he can actually start any work as his adult teeth are slow coming through. Both Pete and I were late developers on the tooth front so hopefully by then Woody will be more mature to understand the importance of why he needs this doing. I am desparate for him not to have the same problem that I have - I can't bite into a whole apple or never been able to chew with both sets of molars at once so my mouth moves a bit like a cow's - I have to chew one side and then the other or make it go round in circles!!! I was so self conscious of my gaps as a teenager and it really dented my confidence and so do not want him to suffer the same. My friend said she'd never noticed my teeth (not sure whether she was being polite or was a little tipsy - sorry - you know how you are and actually I did appreciate your comment as I know you are honest but tactful at the same time!!!) but it was always a big issue to me.
Woody went into panic mode for an xray so really dread to think what will happen later on. Hopefully, he'll mature and understand why these things are necessary.
We then came out and yes, you were right I was blocked in by a woman who was apparently having a tooth extraction and would take 15 - 30 mins!!! My back by this time was agony - I think the angle of my seat in the car had been changed so was not being supported properly because usually driving doesn't make it that bad. There was no way I could sit there for that long and strong painkillers mean I'm unsafe to drive and probably illegal as well. eventually, after getting the receptionist out and tearfully explaining the situation, the woman came out and moved her car. For goodness sake - you can see my mobility scooter, the blue badge and the oxygen cylinder sign. What more should I do? Think Pete will have to design me a do not park behind me sign!!
By the time we'd got home, Woody only had a couple of hours left at school and I went to sleep which is the reason why I never saw the doctor then. I woke up several times in an hour coughing and feeling as if I would suffocate but by then it was picking the children up from childminders time and had to get Woody off to his special training for this Scout competition.
AJ and Laura played outside with all the other children in our roadunder the supervision of neighbours and I took Woody off to camp. I felt so wheezy that I got Woody to phone the GP to try to get me a late urgent appointmnet which he did but the traffic wasn't moving. Eventually, after dropping him off at camp and realising I wouldn't get back in time to see the doctor, I phoned the surgery and asked if the GP would do a presciption and leave it at the pharmacy as they close at 7pm and the doctors at 630pm. They did which was wonderful. I really didn't want to leave it till tomorrow as I've got so bad throughout the day, I didn't want to spend the night without antibiotics and risk being admitted to hospital again.
Anyway, the shaking has stopped now and I've eaten a fair amount of chicken curry cooked by a wonderful friend so feel a lot better. Still wheezing but it is only noticeable when I take a deep breath so let's hope and see that I can get over this without being admitted.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home