fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Sorry - didn't realise I'd not updated this for so long.
Well I went to see my own doctor and got the right prescription this time and gave him the acne cream in hope that he might be able to give it out to someone in need with an acne problem and not an internal usage problem!!
Laura's godmother and daughter came over thursday afternoon and we went to the Itchen Valley country park. It was heaving and parking difficult but actually once there, it didn't seem too crowded. The children like it there as there are wooden play structures to climb on and pond dipping and a biggish playpark as well. It also gives us grown ups an opportunity to catch up with chatting. She had been to Waitrose for me and picked up some lovely cous cous and pasta salads. I'm eating so much more healthily now as I can't often eat bread and chocolate biscuits and eat lots of wholegrain salads, houmous and fruit plus the occasional fortisip to make sure I'm getting all the other protein and vitamins I need. However, am still losing weight but not at a dramatic rate but is noticeable if you haven't seen me recently. This does lead to problems as all my trousers fall down unless I've got a belt and then all my jeans gather up at the front and look most odd!!
The children did well at pond dipping and found some baby newts as well as the usual dragonfly larva. Woody and I just chatted as nature is not his thing.
The only thing was, it occurred to me that the last time I'd been there was with my friend who died in december. We had met up as families in the august and then she became very ill with brain tumours a few days later and a rapid spread of her breast cancer so that gave me a bit of a jolt.
On the last day of the school holidays, we went to the private tennis club and swimming pool with my friend and her 2 daughters plus another friend's daughter and my 3. We timed it a bit wrong as it when we arrived there was only 30 minutes of fun swimming before 'serious' lane swimming so we had lunch instead and the children either played on the playstaions or the computers. What a lovely place if you can afford to join. After lunch the children went into the swimming pool - both the inside and outside pools in the rain and the cold. Laura was so funny. She kepy laying out on the sunloungers and counting to 60 seconds and jumping in and then progressing onto 160 seconds before swimming. I ws amazed by how good AJ's swimming is as I've not watched him for ages. It is very obvious he is right handed when he does the crawl but he can do a whole length now. He is like Laura as he is better under the water than on the top and looked as if he could be good at the breast stroke if he can co-ordinate himself a bit more.
Saturday 19th April - a momentous occasion for hubby. The morris minor has finally passed its MOT so he was very excited and wanted to go off to get the road tax disc when he relooked at the papaerwork the DVLA had sent him which said car wa unregistered so he needs to sort this out with the local DVLA branch and then will be legal!!
My day wa also good as I arranged to meet a bc friend in Reading and we did lots of shopping before eating!! I bought a little handbag witha VW camper on from the Haynes Car workshop group so has a Haynes label on the zip and the insides of the car printed on it. My friend bought a bag with a 1970s chopper bike on it. We also went into one of the cheap sports shops and bought our children some clothes.
In the evening, 1 of Pete's college friends and his partner came round. Yet again, we had another lovely chinese takeaway so it was a good weekend.
Monday - was an inset day at the children's school so we went to the same indoor play area we've been to before and met another mum and her son's are the same age as my 2 so they had a good time there.
Tuesday - I manged to catch up with some of my photo album stuff in the morning and then met a new person off the forum site which was lovley and then went shopping again for me this time. This was not a nice experience. I was feeling a bit grotty with a sore throat anyway but desparately needed some trousers which were not going to fall down and as I don't know how long I will be here for I really didn't want to spend too much money so went to Primark. What a mistake!!! I took some clothes into the changing area and the fairhaired girl noticed I wa using my new walking stick and offered me the use of the disabled changing room. Great I thought - someone who has been trained properly. However, it was a bit disconcerting that she had to clear the cubicle first of lots of clothes left in baskets. I locked the door and got undressed to my underwear as I was also trying on a top when suddenly a lad about 20 and his girlfriend came bursting into the cubicle. Not only were they very derogatory about my body - I know it's not the same but how can it be with one boob, radiation scars and a hickman line in my chest wall where I have the chemo put in and my increased weight as well!! They then both went off in the direction of the women's side of the changing room. Wonder what their plans were then to use a big cubicle - not changing I suspect!! I went out to see the assistant an explained what had happened and asked to see the manager -I had got dressed into the new clothes by that stage incase you are wondering!! I was met by a young dark haired girl who mumbled an apology and never looked at me at all. I asked to see the manager and then went back to change very hastily into my own clothes. When I got out of the room, I was really feeling breathless and angry and no sign of the manager so I asked again and again got an off hand response. i then spotted a more mature assistant so I asked her and she found the manager immediately!! He was obviously well trained in dealing with angry customers and served me on a separate till and asked of there was anything else he could do. i was supposed to be buying new vest tops and PJs for Laura but by tis stage was feeling very ill either with shock or eith tonsillitus. I just wanted out. to make matters worse, he said they knew that the door lock was broken and it had been reported but there was no sign on the door and the assistants working there obviously had either no respect for me or were unaware. Surely, it is not too much too ask for a sign to be put up or for the disabled changing room to be used as a dumping ground. Yet again, this peception that disabled people do not have the spending power of able bodied people.
I do not like using Primark in that I know it is not an ethical trader but when the children grow so fast and my wieght fluctulates and my life expectancy is so unknwn I do not want or am able to buy clothes from other shops.
On the way back to the car park I felt really ill and after picking the children up from the childminders, I went to the doctor for antibiotics for my throat and went staright to bed without feeding the children at all.
Luckily, several friends have offered to write a complaint letter on my behalf as I just can't face another battle especially as I am dreading thursday so much when I find out the future plans for me and if I wll be offered more chemo or not. Thank you so much to you ll who volunteered and took time to do this for me - I really appreciate it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home