fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Saturday, July 28, 2007

I'v managed to be out in the garden inbetween showers and it has been so wonderfully peaceful. No noisy neighbours, no self obssessed DIYers, no kids playing out - just twittering birds, frogs and pond skaters.
The baby sparrows have grown up but are still just as unable to judge when a branch is strong enough to take their weight and they flutter for quite a few seconds whilst they decide if it will take their weight. Oddly, they tried to get onto a flower spike of a Bear's Britches plant and failed abysmally!! We also seem to have a new fledgling but not sure what. Laura thinks it is a baby robin. It has a robin's tail but a speckly chest and as I can't see its parents, I've got no further clues.
Some of the tadpoles have now changed to baby frogs and are very cute. Some have even braved it to pond no.2 which is a long jump for a frog that size- about 1 metre, I suppose. We still have quite a few tadpoles though so I suppose they will just die as I can't see how they will change now.
Much to our surprise, we know have a leech -presumably it came in with some pond weed and 2 pond skaters. They have only just appeared but from where we do not know!
Otherwise, our garden looks quite sad. Most of the lavendar is dying off, the jasmine is not blooming and other plants have just lost their blooms really quickly. I managed to pick 5 sweetpeas and that looks like that. The agapanthus is just OK, the passion flower is doing its best and the astilbe is also doing its best to add some colour but my blue hibiscus is now the highlight and has 5 blooms so hoping for more.
The weather forecast looks slightly more hopeful for next week so maybe I can spend more time in my little sheltered spot eating ice lollies watching wildlife in the city garden.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home