fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Monday, July 09, 2007

It has been a busy week and today I am paying the price for my overactivity. My feet are blistered and look completely sunburnt courtesy of the xeloda!! (Of course, the fact that I have been walking a long way has nothing to do with this at all, you understand!!)

Tuesday, I was struggling with the concept of writing a protocol for privacy, dignity and respect when a friend phoned to invite me out for lunch. this was a much better than prospect than struggling with rationales.Hopefully, we both cheered each other up - I definately felt better for lunch out.
Wednesday was not a good day. It was transfer day so AJ had his first taste of junior school which he loved. For some reason as it was dry, we walked there. This is about a 12 minute walk but it was too long for me and I was so wheezy when I got there that there was no way i could walk back so had to hunt someone down to give me a lift back. I then went onto work and was nastily surprised that i had not done as much to the audit report as I thought.
When I got home, I found a letter from the marsden rejecting me for the tykerb trial so was very upset and went to bed before collecting the children plus 2 friends who were coming back for tea and to be looked after whilst their mum and myself went to the junior school parents evening. In the middle of chaos with cooking tea for 5 children, the chirpodist turned up. I had totally forgotten she was coming so we had to squeeze into a very small space for her to sort out my manky toes. They felt so much better afterwards though!!
We had to go back to the junior school for the customary talk by the head and teachers etc. It was better than I remembered when the twins went up as all the teachers got a chance to talk rather than just the headmaster. We also met the class teachers and bought the junior school jumpers!! I have to say, some of what the head was saying seemed very inappropriate as it would put parents off and not encourage them to keep their children in school. He went on about the importance of punctuality and missing school and said somehting about if you were late every day by 30 mins that equated to 3 days off each term and that stats proved if you missed school, you did poorly in the sats tests in yr 6. Well, I suppose that is fair comment but then if your child is off sick for a while the school never send work home so they never help you to get your child back on track - that's inequitable.

Thursday - Woody was definately under the weather. I think it was more of a 'mental health' day rather than an illness day. He has been very stressed about going to Yr6 and going away for cub camp for a whole week. I think he just needed a break. I then had to get to the station to pick up my friend who was coming with me to the hospital to kick arse.
I think if the traffic cameras were on me then I think i would have come up as suspicious. Firstly, I went to the wrong side of the railway station and so had to drive around the oneway system to getback to the other side. Then I found the train was later than we thought so i drove off again to the other side for a coffee and back to the station. after, I picked up my friend we drove to the hospital via the one way system. I think I must have done about 2 extra miles and passed the same lot of traffic lights 3 times in 2o minutes!!
We waited about 2 hours to see the chief onc. He was sympathetic to a degree about the lack of progress on the tykerb issue but wouldn't be drawn into certain conversations about when or if I would be eligible. He listened to my chest and agreed that you could hear a wheeze. He then spent a lot of time looking at the Ct scan and he thinks he can see something on the right side of where the windpipe divides. In fact, both myself and my friend could see it so it is not that small and I don't understand why it has not been reported. He will discuss this with the radiologist and then the chest medical team so i can have a bronchoscopy to see why I can feel stuff moving in my windpipe at high chest level and why i am wheezy. However, even if they discover something I will still be ineligble fo tykerb - I don't understand why. I challenged him about their honesty with me and he said they had always been honest. I pointed out I'd never been told about the fluid on my lung or the rib met. he said that they told you the most inportant things and so left out minor things. How is that being honest??? I want to know what is happening and I have always made that clear. He didn't think my wheeze was allergy or linked to the new growth on my strenum. Somehow, we never got round to discussing this new spread in my bones. I think the attitude is the bony ones won't kill me so why bother investigating!!!
It then became very hectic on the way home. Firstly, I stalled the car at the barrier and had to be pushed out. Then we had a rush to collect AJ from infant school in the rain.Come back to hnage cars to the people mover as we were collecting the same 2 friends plus Laura. Luckily, hubby was home so could collect Woody. My poor friend - she has a 16month old so it was a bit of a shock having 4 chatty and giggly children in the car and house. She was brilliant at making us cups of tea and toast as I was taking the 5 children out to the Moscow State Circus. Firstly, I had to drop her off at the staion and then off to the circus in the pouring rain. The circus was great fun even though they had cocked up our tickets. i bought 6 tickets but they had only allocated us 5 seats so we had to change sides. I think we got better views but we had some very annoying little children behind us. We got home about 730pm so a busy day.
I was happily chatting on the phone to my sister when I looked out the window and found 5 men plus a dog wandering around the garden and looking in all 4 sheds. This was the local morris minor owners club meeting which was supposed to be in the pub but relocated to our garden before returning back to the pub. It looked very suspect with 5 bearded men and a dog rooting around the garden. i think it is an unwritten rule that to own a morris minor. a beard is necessary!!! Good job I was fully dressed then!

Friday - hubby and I went to Hampton Court Flower Show. We had exhibitor's tickets courtesy of a friend so we had a quick entrance and could eat in the exhibitors' restaurant which was so less crowded. The show was brilliant and it actually didn't rain!! I wore my trusty crocs but there were so many people in posh frocks or suits and welly boots - starnge combo!!! We'd forgotten to take the chairs with us which was a good job as we bought so many plants and a lovely iron dragonfly and frog for our garden we couldn't carry them all. We ended up buying a pink basket on wheels - a certain unspecified amount was going off to Breakthrough Breast Cancer - umm - felt a bit suspicious that they will actually do this. Anyway, it was a useful way of carrying the plants. We got home about 930pm and I was absolutley shattered. Nan and Grampa had picked up the children from school, given them tea and bought then home and they were all in their pjs when we got back. It was such a big help so thank you. Grampa also picked us up from the station so that was a huge help as well.

Saturday and hubby was working. I got up at 7am which is unheard of at the weekend normally. Quick gathering together of drinks and biscuits and off to the Co-Op for lunches as we were going to Lego land.We got there about 10am and it was so busy already. Legoland were not sympathetic to disabled people in that it was only if a child had a disability that you could get a priority on the rides. Eventually, they stamped AJ's hand and so we got round it that way!!! We met my sister, her husband and their 2 youngest daughters so we were a big party.
It was really good. Mini-Land has changed and now London is on it with the Tardis. Dr Who, and Dalek Zeck on the Canary Wharf Tower!! There was an accident on the moving bridge as a lorry tried to go over the bridge when it was coming down so the driver's cab hung over the gap and the bridge came down on the lorry. We got a Lego man to fix it - he was carrying an array of tools and a kneeling pad!!! It was funny to watch as other lorries were still on their route to go over the bridge and so there was a traffic jam at the roundabout!! Good to know even in MiniLand, LegoLand they wtill have traffic problems then!!!
I went on the Dragon's rollercoaster ride and it was brilliant. We also did the Fairytale boat ride which was funny as my brother in law and I sat in the back and our combined weight made the boat tip up as it was only middle niece and AJ in the front!! we also did the pirate's water ride and the 2 nieces, Laura and AJ went on the big Jungle Rollercoaster. You could hear them screaming all the way round but it didn't deter them as they did it 3 times!! Woody, AJ, youngest niece and I went off to the fire engine part. It was exhausting as you had to pump this lever to get the fireengine forward and then to get the water out. I was huffing and puffing at the end!!
We eventually left at 630 and after a stop at KFC for tea, we got home about 930pm!!
Sunday - I did loads of washing cos of the rain earlier in the week. we watched the Tour e France go through Kent and past our old haunts of Tenterden, Great Chart and the weald. Then we watched the F1 before going out to a bbq with our friends. This turned into a farce as hubby had to go back to get the birthday pressie and card and margarine!! The friends had forgotten matches so had to go to buy them. Then when it was time to light the bbq, it wouldn't light and then it rained so we had a quick rush back to the car and to our house. The men were determined not to let the rain deter them from bbq duties so under the sun umbrella and ceanothus, they beavered away trying to light theirs and ours bbqs. By this time, us girls had given up and cooked the sausages under the grill and by the time the bbq had heated up enough to cook on, there was only the lamb chops to cook. The adults sat outside huddled under the umbrella and ate our food. It must have looked very strange with 4 people huddled under the umbrella eating in drizzle.
Today - monday - my blisters are all over my feet and really sore so having to sit with my feet up which is probably what I should have been doing last week rather than roaming around all the places I went to. Will I never learn to rest - no -pigs might fly first!!!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home