fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Warm weather - it has been so blissful to have the last few days of sunshine. Saying that it took so long to get organised for Woody's cub camp on saturday that by the time we went out to the local park, it had turned cloudy!! Anyway, the 3 of them enjoyed themselves down by the shore and playground but we did not enjy paying 60p for a teaspoon of icecream (not even the Mr whippy sort) and a small flake. the council had advertised there would be a family fun day there but there was ot so don't know what happened to that then. Very odd!!
As soon as we came home, our usual icecream man and so we bought another icecream for 60p that was big, delicisous Mr Whippy sort and with sprinkles and sauce!!
Sunday - was a bit of a rush as we had to get out the house by 9am to drop me off at the station and get Woody off to camp.
I missed the train by 5 mins so had a 45min leisurely coffee at the staion before going off to Reading. I was there first to meet the rest of the girls so took the opportunity to try to buy a small radio for Laura as I'd sneaked hers away for Woody for camp so he could listen to CubCamp radio!! I knew my life would not be worth living if I did not replace it. John Lewis let me down twice in the same shop. They had only the display radio and wouldn't sell it ot me so they could order it in future for other customers!! Then I was trying to but short sleeved open necked blue blouses for Laura. They had every size but hers so have ordered it and so awaiting for their phone call now. I tried everywhere to buy a portable, headphone type radio but couldn't get anywhere until the last shop. I was so pleased and this one has the advantage that it can be used as a normal radio and a headphone type so really she has done better out of this deal!!
I met the girls and we sat at the pub for 2 rounds before going to a lovely italian restaurant. I'm so impressed with the eating places and shopping at Reading. How sad is that but considering what I remember about it around 1984, it is truly unrecognisable!!
I had 2 glass of wine spritzer at the pub and half a bottle of red at the restaurant. As you can imagine with that and the steroids I was in a bit of a buzzy state. IWe walked back to the staion and realised I'd missed the train and needed to wait for 50 mins so we went back to the pub -for a coffee!! Somehow, I still managed to miss the next train as I couldn't see Platform 7. I could see Platform 5 but Platform 7 was round the corner so I missed that train and had another 1hr to wait for the train. What else could I do but have more coffee and sober up!!! At least I am well used to waiting in chemo and being outside in the warm with the coffee is far more preferable and was quite starngely enjoyable!!!
Monday - AJ and Laura had their haircut. Laura's looks so much better. Her fringe has been feathered and it looks so much better. I eventually got to work about 11am and then had lunch out but I din't leave till about 330pm so they did get some work out of me!!
Tuesday - I had my hair straightened. It cost £10 at the local hairdresser which seems extortionate but she has done a brilliant job. I usually pay only £3-5 in town but it looks so good I'll have to go again and see if I can renegotiate it I think. It must have taken her about 10 minutes at the most!!
The kids went out with a neighbour and her children and a dog she is looking after. They had a whale of the time whilst i was having my hair done. Somehow, I was still last to get to the owl and otter centre in the New Forest and my sister had driven 140 miles to get there!! It was lovely. we saw baby snowy owls being fed by their mum. The tearing up of the chick was not so pleasant but as Laura says 'nature is cruel'. the otters were cute and we saw them being fed and we also saw the keeper release 2 owls back into their enclosure after it was cleaned and repaired. There were also a lot of wallaby, deer, boars and pine martins, weasels etc. We saw the otters being fed and listened to the keeper talk which was actually a good one for a change. It was a good 4 hours we spent there so well worth it. It did warn you that 2 of the deer were prone to eat clothes and guess who they tried that on - yes me. First of all it wanted my handbag strap and then my T shirt!!! Everybody else found that funny of course. It was lovely to see to see lots of baby bluetits, nuthatches and a greenfinch plus some butterflies. the only down side was that the wasps are back -grr - what is the point of wasps. I know we've got that book that is suppsed tot ell us but I think I will have to dig it out to see what the answer is!!
Had a bizarre experience in Kentucky Fried Chicken in Shirley. They only had 1 packet of ketchup, 1 children's toy, he forgot to put the chips in the kids meals, gave us the wrong drinks!! It was defiantely not his day!! Dom't think we'll go there again then!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home