fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Party time - Saturday was the day of the twins' swimming party. I'd spent the morning resting apart from taking AJ and Laura to the shore where there is a good play park and as the tide was out, they had a brill time looking for 'treasure' and throwing stones in the water and I sat in the car reading the Saturday Paper. The afternoon rushed by - not helped by the fact Laura wanted to do cheese and pineapple or grapes on sticks and it took much longer than I thought. Soon it was time to pack all the food etc into the car. Why do we always seem to be missing a pair of goggles??
25 children and various adults assembled in the rather small reception and 1 friend acted as present collector!! We couldn't take the food through to the party area as it was already in use but they allowed me and some mums to bring the food through to the staff waiting area!! It was interesting trying to balance the cheese on sticks stuck in a grapefruit in the car and getting it into the staff room!!
Pete and his brother went in plus 2 other mums and a Dad. 2 mums and myself stayed on the side of the pool and watched the fun and games of the children in the pool. We had hired the bouncy castle/slide thing in the water and big float mats. I think Pete and his brother enjoyed themselves the most - men never grow up and as Pete has said why should he!!!
Unfortunately, this meant that AJ's supervision was somewhat limited and he got landed on by some of the 10 year old boys and said he got stuck under a float on the other side of this giant float. Us watchers on the side couldn't see AJ but we knew a lifeguard was there. My friend was just going to go round to see if he was out when AJ crawled out the pool sobbing his heart out. I gave him a big cuddle and then he went back in with his Dad and eventually played with his friend who is the same age and his mum so he wasmuch happier and safer then. I was really impressed by how well AJ can swim now and he has no fear of leaping in the water or swimming under water. It is such a joy to watch!!
Eventually, we were able to get the food out on the tables and waited for the children to come out. There was an amazing time difference between the first child appearing and the last from the changing room. Probably about 15 minutes!!! The food got wolfed down and so did the drinks - I felt I should have done more food and then remembered that the pizzas wee still in the oven at home!!!! Luckily the oven was off or we may have come back to a very smokey kitchen!!! It went quite peacefully till the end when the boys particularly wanted a food fight but there was no food so empty cups went flying instead. I hadn't planned the birthday cake very well as it was a chocolate tray cake which became very sticky in the heat of the staff room!! OOps!!
The end of the party became very rushed as they wanted to close the leiasure centre and it all became very hectic in the end. Thanks to everybody who helped and all their presents, cards and money etc. I'm now trying to get themoff their nintendo DS lites and into thank you letter mode - what is the statistical odds of that happening without an argument???
We just got back and unpacked for Dr Who - AJ was scared of the human dalek and thought he looked like a squid so don't know how he will cope with the 2nd installment next week!! I think it will be head under blankie on dad's lap time!!
Sunday, some friends of ours came over for tea and cakes etc. They ended up having a sort of water fight and our male guest got rather wet!! Actually, he got wet twice - the first time he moved the metal pole holding the tennis ball on a string thing (will have to come back and edit this bit when I remember the correct name!!) and got rusty water all down his legs and the second time, he got wet when the children threw water over him. Hope the car dried out all right!!!!
Monday was, of course, the twins actual birthday and Woody got 89 bumps he told me. Apparently that is 10 bumps plus 1 for luck 8 times which is of course mathematically correct!!! Laura escaped this as it is now apparently 'only a boy thing.' They got more pressies and money and cards.
I remembered to go to the stadium to buy the football tickets and then had to go back after school so Woody could get his name and age put on the back of his new football shirt. It looks brilliant and it is now hung proudly in his bedroom.
Family and friends came over for birthday cake. We had a chocolate and a sponge cake and guess what mainly the girls ate - yep -the chocolate cake!!
It was a fun evening which I needed after finding out one of my friends was in hospital and had been for the last week because of her spread of her cancer. This did get me writing down some of my thoughts about my eventual funeral and my possessions and what I want to give to whom!! That is vry tricky as I don't want to force things on people but it sounds very morbid asking someone if they want to choose something. I don't know what the etiquette is in this and I don't want to offend people either. It's very tricky this dieing/dying (can't spell now) business!!!
I've got the TV on and it's Boy Bands on The Hits and very embarassingly I have to say, I've been enjoying it and had the volume right up. If there is something I don't like then I just switch over to E4+1 or TMF!! I've been having a good time boogying away while typing - an interesting combination don't you think so if this has more typos than usual then you know why!!! Ahh - it's now swapped to the Kasier Chiefs so I'm happy again.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home