fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

They say pride comes before a fall and that's what happened. just after I'd boasted how well I was doing taking the xeloda than I developed 'hand and foot' syndrome. This means that the soles and palms of your hands swell up and become red and very painful. My hands weren't too bad but after a visit to Hilliers Arboretum near Romsey for an Easter Egg Hunt, my feet really hurt. I thought it was just because I'd been walking in my trainers. It felt better then next day until I took the tablets and then it felt as if I was walking on hot coals or had really bad sunburn on the soles of my feet. I had to phone the help line and after a very long winded conversation with a nurse whose english left quite a bit to desire, a lovely doctor phoned me back who said to stop the tablets and take vitamin B6 until my feet felt better and they would review the dose on my next visit on 19th April. This seemed to work and by tuesday, my feet were only a little sore. Someone told me to take alphalinoeic acid to prevent this syndrome and now I wished I'd listened so have ordered some today and will give that whirl. My mouth has also been very sore. I ate some pineapple as that is supposed to help and lo and behold it did!! If you see me with a constant supply of pineapple then you know why and if you ever feel the need to offload some fresh or tinned pineapple in juice (not syrup!!) then you now know the place to send it!!!!
To go back to Easter - the children enjoyed hunting the easter eggs and have nearly ate them all. I believe in the getting rid of them quick philosophy rather than having a little bit over a few months. I managed to cook a duck and hubby managed to get enough meat off for 3 adults and Laura. I had to sit down a lot to do dinner and mum helped a lot or else I would never have managed.
Easter monday, the twins went to their Roverang dress rehearsal with their new big white knickers/pants and white socks for Laura and black socks for Woody. Apparently, they needed white underwear so that it didn't show under the theatre lights. I would have thought that white was the colour to avoid but nevere mind. It was a real trial to buy white knickers for Laura. Sainsburys didn't have any her size and poor hubby struggled in Tescos to buy white knickers and school trousers - it took him about an hour!!!
AJ went to a friends house for the afternoon so I could put my feet up. We went to a friends house for dinner that evening which was lovely and we were all very grateful.
Yesterday, we went to see Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. There must have been about 15 of us in the big cinema and so why is it that I always get the child behind me who kicks the seat continually!! After my best Paddington stare, the mum got the hint and told her daughter to stop. The daughter was at least 9 so really should have been able to sit still I would have thought. Later on, the twins went to their first performance of their Roverang show. Laura is wearing silver and aqua blue lycra flared trousers and a very cropped top for the first half and then black leggings and a green top in the second half - so why the need for big white knickers is beyond me!!! Woody is dressed as a Teddy Boy in the first half - he had described to me that he was wearing a blue long coat like he did when he was dressed as a circus ring master. It didn't click what he meant until I saw him!!!! The second half, he is wearing a bright orange lycra close fitting top with black trousers. He is not impressed!!
They had a big supporting audience of Nan-Nan, Gramps, Grandma, Aunty and 3 cousins and myself. We were quite near the front but in the middle so had a good view. It was good fun with comedy sketches as well as the dance and song routines. It didn't finish until 1030pm so by the time we got home it was 11pm so very tired twins this morning. I'm so glad they are not doing the show for 5 nights as they would be too tired.
Thanks to everybody who has contacted me to say they have been reading my blog and for their support.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home