fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Mum - came down on the wednesday and it was such a help to me. I could go shopping and not worry about how much I was carrying and go food shopping and not have to ask for extra help and it was great to have the company as well. She came with me to chemo so that I had my 'slave' for coffee' making duties and scone fetching and we even finished reasonably early so went shopping. Now starting to get there with the christmas shopping.
Not only did I have chemo but I had the planning for the radiotherapy for my hip. I came home with a huge square marked out on my thigh. The consultant said it might cause me pain for a few days so keep stoked up with analgesia and it might cuase diarhhoea as it would touch my bowel. I had a panic in the night and ended up phoning the hospice nurses to see what they thought I might need for pain relief and they suggested getting some oral morphine liquid. Friday morning, I was going for my flu jab so mentioned it to the receptionist and next minute, I'd got a prescription for morphine. Fancy, having got to the stage where you just ask for morphine and you get a prescription for it!!
At radiotherapy, I spoke to the lovely McMillan Radiotherapist who was shocked to hear what had happened tome and she reassured me that they would lead off a lot of the square so it wouldn't hit my bladder or much of my bowel. The radiotherapist who did it, showed me the area on an xray and I felt reassured. This was short lived cos after I'd been blasted, she then said,'the pain will probably get much worse and could take 4-6 weeks to improve'. Now, if I'd known that I'd have waited till after christmas as I wasn't in that much pain now.
I was OKish over the weekend. Felt a bit washed out - combo of flu jab, chemo and rads and then there was monday night. I took voltarol, paracetamol and codeine and it didn't touch it. Tuesday, I was at the GPs with hubby and met the district nurse who got me to see the doctor immediately and he prescribed slow release morphine. It is amazing how quick the surgery acts when they know you have advanced cancer - shame this has to happen to see how wonderful they can be.
As I was going out for a curry with a group of friends, I then weighed up between taking morphine or having alcohol. Alcohol won!! Had a brill night and met up with people I'd not seen for while. However, when I got home the pain was so bad that having read the leaflet and deciding that as I'd only had 1 pint of lager and the leaflet talked about large amounts of alcohol, I'd hit the morphine. I slept well!!
Wednesday was a bit blurry and I felt drunk at times and then I felt sick but at least the pain was better.
Today, I'm trying without as I would like to remember what I'm doing and be able to drive. Will let you know!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home