fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Being NED - OK, I'd better let you know what NED means so that you don't think I've changed names or something!! Today, I went for the results of the CT scan and after waiting an hour, saw the doctor at 10am who said the scan was 'basically fine' . He expanded on this by saying there was No Evidence of Disease (NED) but that the area where I had the booster sessions of radiotherapy shows inflammation. They feel this is just caused by the radiotherapy but will keep an eye on it anyway so hopefully, that is all it is. I think I have 8 more herceptins to go to complete the year of that treatment and hope that it has done the trick. Hubby's parent's bought us a bottle of champagne tonight which I think I've drunk most of but it went a long way!!
Co-incidentally, it is a year tomorrow that I first got my diagnosis and what a year it has been. A huge thank you to you all who have supported us all either by looking after us physically or emotionally. We don't know what we would have done without you all or how we will pay you back.
Now to change the subject completely and back to this week's news. The mouse seems to have disappeared so has either run back outside to rejoin the guinea pigs or is laying upside down somewhere under a cupboard. However, hubby made an odd discovery in shed number 3. Firstly, there was a lot of chewed polystryene on the floor. Then, he noticed the black bag of rags had a hole in and there was a trail of birdseed to his wellyboots. When, he peered inside, the boot was full of seeds, nuts and other bits and pieces so we think a squirrel has been busy in there!! The tadpoles are now swimming around their container and the blue tits are back so we have a lot of wildlife in our city garden!!
I've felt better this week and have managed to cycle about 100 yds!! We were trying to encourage AJ to be more confident on his bike. I've not cycled now for a year and my legs ached the next day!! I've also managed a walk and a muddy splash with the children and their godmother and her daughter at Holly hill. It rained in the end so we had to come home!! Yesterday, we went for a walk in the local woods as my sister and her 2 younger children came down and again, the children came back very muddy after splashing in the mud and the local stream. For you local people, I managed to walk from home all the way up to the Obelisk and the park up there!! I'm very pleased that I am getting stronger even though I still get breathless and get tired. (My blood tests are still not quite back to my normal but very nearly there now). I was so tired when we came back though I couldn't face cooking so we went to a Brewer's Fayre with inside and outside play areas. Woody suddenly came back to us to say my youngest niece was stuck in the toilet. Of course, we all thought she couldn't really be locked in the lavatory but she was!! The female manager tried with a knife and a screwdriver to turn the lock but it wouldn't budge. Eventually, she had to get the chef to get a crowbar (looking well used!!) from her flat above the pub and he broke the door down to get her out!! The manager commented on how silly it was to have such a stiff lock on the children's toilet and that they were getting new doors next week!! Not very useful, when there is a strong 9 yr old girl locked in the loo!! You know, we didn't even get a discount for the upset it caused the poor girl and her mum!! I think that was a bit unfair, don't you!! Actually, that day was eventful all round. Mum fell over while posting a letter for an elderly friend. The lady was sitting in mum's car whilst mum got out to post the letter. She fell up the kerb and all these people dashed towards her to help her and brushed her down to make sure she was alright and the lady didn't even notice. Mum being the brave souls she is, drove off, and a bit later on decided her wrist was a bit sore so drove to the local hospital. As it was after 5pm the X Ray was shut so they put a backslab plaster on and told her to come back tomorrow for an XRay. She went back the next day and sure enough, she had broken a bone near her thumb! I suppose at least, we know the osteoporosis medicine is working or it could have been a lot worse so now mum isn't coming here for Easter. As for me, well yesterday, a lady with a very small baby drove out at me whilst I was on a roundabout and then stopped right in front of me. I think she was distracted and then panicked and did an emergency stop rather than just speeding up and getting out my way. I was rather shocked as well!!
Oh well time for bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home