fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Friday, February 13, 2009

Week between 5th and 11th February

My swallowing did improve slightly after the taxol so I felt it was still working and I was justified in pushing for it.

We also made it off to see Essex to see my sister. It was a bit touch and go weatherwise. The snow had gone where we and my sister lived but in north Hampshire, snow showers were forecasted and for once they got it right as we went through snow showers in Basingstoke and Guildford.

We arrived at our Premier Inn about 9pm and dropped our stuff off before going to my sister's and dropping Laura off. somehow, even though I'd tried not to lift anything, I must have done as my back and shoulder had started to hurt. We returned to the hotel and I slept well despite the boys talking in their sleep. They are both so chatty at night. Woody was playing some kind of Playstation game in his sleep!!
Saturday, we went to Tropical Wings which is a bit of a misnomer as there are few wildlife with wings!! There were some beautiful butterflies and cockertoos, parrots and birds of prey but a lot of tortoises who weren't randy for once. Perhaps the cold had dampened their ardour!! Outside there are wallabies which were so cute and we could feed them. Quite a few had joeys in their pockets and they would poke their heads out which was so sweet. There were also some hilarous chickens who walked stiff leggedly and had really long, fluffy legs. They were even funnier when they ran and we regretted not taking a video with us as I'm sure they could have made it on to 'You've been framed' .
Sunday, my sister and Pete took the 5 youngest children off to the local park and I spent time on the computer. Somehow the sunday dinner was late so Woody was able to watch the arsenal vs Spurs match he wanted to see!!!

Our friend and hubby started work on decorating the kitchen. Our kitchen was extended in an odd way as you would expect by the previous owner. Our friend started at the 'wet end' (it can not be described as an utility room!! This was the original narrow galley kitchen and has the sink and dishwasher in and the only radiator. They chose an off white which was supposed to have a hint of peach in but once on the walls, it seemed to have a greenish hue so looks odd when you look from the other end out to the hall. The idea is to have a black and white kitchen and i think we are going to have to put in some kind of lino to get the floor to match as at present there are orangey ceramic tiles on the floor which have been laid very unevenly so that the kitchen door scraps over the floor. Why he couldn't have levelled the floor off evenly before laying the tiles only he knows!!! I don't mind them but Pete hates them but we can't afford a whole new floor and I couldn't live with the disruption it would cause either. We've also got to make a decision about the cupbiard doors. 1 of the doors rotted away by the hinges s we have either got to have new doors for the whole kitchen or take the doors off at the 'wet end' and put the things that are mainly cleaning things in baskets and have no doors or put curtains over the gap. I fancy either no doors and baskets or a curatin whilst Pete wants to make new MDF doors so we'll have to wait and see after costings and time available.

I went to the hospice on tuesday and it was quite sad as in the last month, 3 of the people who had been going for the last year like me had died. We had a quiet morning and in the afternoon we had a little service for them and a copper leaf with their name on was added to the remebrance tree in the Quiet room. It was a lovely service.

Also one of our friends from our Gobby Gang died so that was upsetting. She was only 31 and had had a really miserable time in the last year and especially since June. We've been making very tearful phonecalls and texts to each other since.

Wednesday morning is always busy as the district nurse comes to take blood and flush my line and 2 sets of carers come in to do house work and shopping.
After they'd gone, I got taken out shopping with Debbie. I decided to walk as we were only going to one end of town. I did buy some more of that wonderul foundation -the company is called 'Benefit' and not whatever it was I called it. I also bought some combined wax/powder to put in my eyebrows which are not growing back. They've come back at the part closest to my nose but the last 2 cm are missing and the pencil looks so false. I'm also concerned that my hair on my head is coming back so patchily. I had it cut recently to blend in more the bits that didn't fall off and the new growing in. Looks like it needs doing again. There's a lot more white hairs this time. I jus hope it doesn't come back in such tight curls or so black. it will be a releif to have hair as it has been so cold especially the back of my neck.
Debbie and I had had a lovely lunch from the Stir fry section in John Lewis. I think we could have done with one meal between us as it was huge. We did a bit more window shopping and then treated ourselves to a cake and coffee or rather Debbie treated me. Thank you. Still need to return the tracsuit bottoms and zip up hoody I bought in Primark. The trosers are too wide legged andI'm scared I might tripup and the top's sleeve is too tight for my swollen lymphoedema arm. Laura liked hers and I bought some t shirts and trousers for Pete which are fine.
When we got home the kitchen looked amazing. it looked so different being bright white and so much better. I think we will put new tiles on top of the old ones rather than repaint them as it will be quicker and less messy but think we do need to get kitchen work top as the exisiting one is brownish and won't go with the black and white. Unfortunately, the dust from the kitchen decorating really effected my chest and by the evening I was in a real state but the twins came up trumps and Woody organised the nebuliser and Laura organised the wheat pads and pillows and Pete got AJ to bed. Can't wait to see what it looks when it is finished. Our friend is coming back next week when we are away - expect he'll get on much better without us being around.
thank you to everyone who has helped us this week especially Pete's friend and Debbie and others who have cooked and shopped for us.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home