fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Monday, October 06, 2008

Goodwood Revival of Speed
It was odd getting up at 630am and not a child in sight!!! Never normally up before 730am and often later!!! We got dressed up in our 40s gear - I forgot my matching accessories and felt odd all day without my matching earrings and necklace - just ask my sister about that - 1980s plastic, matching jewellery!!! I decided to put on my not so high red shoes rather than my flat black pumps as I would be in the scooter all day and took my folding walking stick so I would be OK when walking.
We never left till 8am - how did it take so long to get 2 adults ready.?? Loved my red lipstick but stained my lips all day. Put my wig and hat on so we looked the part. Hubby looked a real 1940s spiv - he found the braces odd and said it felt as if his trousers were going to fall down all day. He'd brylcreemed his hair and cut his moustache and had his trilby on. Great photos. Also went in the morris minor which was 50 yrs old - didn't have the top down on it till the way home as very cold on way there. I snuggled down under the fleece blanket on the way there!!
When we got there, it was brilliant seing so many people dressed up in clothes from 1920s to 1970s. Mainly, people dressed from 1940s - 60s. Why do fat people wear those 50s drindyl/circular skirts with all those petticoats so they look twice the size!!!! I'd really wanted to wear one but didn't think it would be a good idea in a scooter - show all my underwear off and I wouldn't see out!!
We met hubby's friend who was very naughty and got us some passes into the posh March Enclosure. It was wonderful. Very posh - lovely restaurant and proper toilets - no portaloos today for us!!! It was also opposite the opening to the paddock and near the startline and the disability ramp had a brilliant view down the track and the screen opposite. We were also about 30 m from the actual track.
The first part we saw was the parade of all different vehicles including a policeman on his bike, a Basildon milkfloat, fire engine and a 50s caravan.
Then there were different races according to age of car and cc of car, I think. I just know the first set of girls who held onto giant labels which said where the start place was for each position were wearing very short dresses and plastic boots!!!
We were first of all in the shade and I got cold but as the sun came round, I warmed up and eventually fell asleep for the entire 30 min race. How could I sleep through motorbike powered cars 30 m away for that long!!!!
We really enjoyed ourselves watching the racing, watching people and watching airoplanes like spitfires. I supped my way through the thermo of tea before lunch. We'd bought some sandwiches in Tescos on the way there so felt rather odd doing that in front of the restaurant!! We did go there for a cup of tea but by this time my ankles were swelling so thought it best to walk there. I was holding onto hubby and my stick and he did the gentlemanly thing of opening the restaurant door and as I stepped forward, my stick slipped and I went flying forward onto my knees. My hat fell off but not my wig and I cut my knees on the metal gridway but no laddered tights and it really hurt my back and hip as well. After being helped up, I hobbled into the restaurant to try to restore some dignity and get my hat on and hubby bought me some more tea to calm me down. The pain wouldn't go and I didn't want anyone to know as they would have packed me off to casualty because of my bony secondaries so I supped on some oromorph and dihydrocodeine and eventually felt better. Too much better - so with hubby and his friend we went to the vintage clothes shops and I tried on all these 40s - 60s coats and loved a red one with a fur collar plus a bright green velvet one with fur and then it occured to me that this was real fur and even though it is really old, I couldn't but them so bought a 60s cream, wool one instead!!! The sneaky people had put cash points inside red phone boxes right next to the stalls and the stall holders only took cash!! Someone made a killing that day!!!
We then went onto look at the other stalls before watching more races and going off to the airfield in my scooter and the mini Earls Court repro of a 1950s car show. Loved the new maseratti!! Enjoyed an icecream and then looked at different stalls.
Then it came time to go home which was sad as we had to leave before the end. We went home with the roof down and my hat and wig stayed put!!!
Very stiff and in pain the next day and that was just the beginning of the week!!!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home