fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Have been trying to have a quiet week to recover from the busy weekend.
Poor Laura really seems not much better and her joints really hurt her. She is still having a sleep in the day and goes to bed early and wakes late. She just tends to sit and doesn't go outside which is so unusual for her. Wonder how long it will go on for?
Still no news from Primark - surely if the letter was sent friday, it should have been received by mon/tuesday surely.
Tuesday - I went to the Hospice in the morning. I can usually manage their meals OK but the menu is on a 4 weekly basis so it is getting a bit predictable as so much of the food I can not eat so have the same things week by week!! I got my hair done and some reiki. I also saw the lymphoedema physi who gave me the new sleeve and glove. This one actually feels as if it fits properly and is not too tight on my wrist so hopefully will reduce the hand swelling.
Then it was off to the MacMillan Centre for the Look Good Feel Better session. Parking was even more of a nightmare than usual. The queue for the disabled parking was not moving as someone had let a removal lorry into it and as the turning area is small, it could not get the angle right to get out. The poor lady in fron of me was desparate to get in as her hubby was really poorly and she needed to get in to see him urgently. Even after she'd explained and I'd explained, they still would not let her in. The lorry was trying to get out the entrance and hit the notice poles and signs before eventually getting out. I don't know who let him in but they should never have done that.
The Look Good Feel Better is a session run for women with cancer to show them how to use make up properly when undergoing chemo or after treatment. The main beauty companies get together and make up a big bag of cosmetics to give each woman meant to be worth about £250. There were 3 helpers and 12 of us women. I sat next to someone who'd I'd been emailing via the forum so it was great to actually meet her. I also met a lady who I'd not seen for about a year. She was with her daughter and didn't look that well. She indicated that she had secondaries in her bones which was a huge shock as she'd been on a trial where she'd been given the same bone strengthener that I have but 3 monthly to prevent bony secondaries.
The session was well run and we got some lovely cosmetics by various companies and I got a 3 bottle set of the various Poison perfumes. The lipstick colours were interesting - I wondered if the companies gave away their least popular colours as the lipsticks were frequently bright red or pink. I ended up getting a strange purple but an OK pinky brown colour lipstick. The eyeshadow I got was a trio pack of white, purple and brown. The assistant had to put that on me as when I use purple it always looks as if I've been given a black eye!!!
We all got chatting and I think there was about 4 or more of the 12 with breast cancer and all under 55 I would think with my new friend being under 40 and me at 46 so rather scary.
Whilst I was there in the afternoon, Laura had tried school but got very tired.
Wednesday - I had lunch with my manager and her PA. It was lovely to see them again and I managed to eat some bread with the soup. I then made the most of the 20% clothing at Tescos sale and am now down to a size 16 from a 20 last year. That evening I really struggled eating some stew and I ended up regurgitating it which was awful for everyone. I'd eaten a lot and most did stay down but my swallowing is worsening. I've tried to deny it but I can't and I'm still losing weight and although I seem to eat OK in the day, it seems to be at night that I can't swallow. I think it doesn't help that my top vertebrae is so painful and I'm stuck on the painkilling front as what I need to take for the pain means I can not drive. It is obviously a concern to the oncologists as well as it was mentioned at this meeting about me as they want to do radiotherapy to cover my spine and my lung tumour. If I take soemthing like a lorazepam or a diazepam then it helps the pain and also my eating as I think it relaxes my oesophagus so I can swallow.
Laura didn't go to school wednesday as she was too tired but she went in on thursday for the school leavers photo but I had to collect her after an hour. I bought a present for my sister which I can't say what it is as she may read this before she receives it!!
Thursday, one of my friends came over and cooked 2 lots of sausage stew and did some housework for me and another friend came over to bring some ironing back.
Thursday night, I managed really well at first with the tuna stew but suddenly choked on it again but I was on my second helping so not too bad.
Friday - Laura and I had a quiet day in as I thought the argos delivery was coming between 8 -1pm and it wasn't till noon I looked at the receipt and it said 12 - 8pm!!! It arrived about 230pm in the end!! The book case looks very narrow though but the order number matches the one in the book so time will tell when hubby opens the box!!
We spent sometime doing the photo scrap book together which was lovely.
I still hadn't heard from Primark or radiotherapy so went round in circles on the radiotherapy front and all I learnt that was I'd been rereferred on the 19th May which was about 3 weeks after the initial referral at the multidisciplinary team meeting so will have to wait and see. The problem is they often only give you 2 days notice so if it arrives next week I won't be here.
I gave a very angry phonecall to Primark who told me the letter had been sent off yesterday!!!! What can I do - i would go to the papers but don't want them to go on the obvious 'dying mother with 3 children' front but it seems so wrong that I've been waiting over 3 weeks for a reply now.
Had a very successful meal tonight of the aforementioned superbly, scintillating and sublime, spicy, sausage stew!!! Don't know what the magic ingredient was but it was lovely and it stayed down!! It might have been the diazepam I'd taken as well that helped with the swallowing but the pain was so bad in my back.
Woody was supposed to pack his own bag for camp but I still ended up helping him and then it was a quick goodbye and see him on monday. Just hope it doesn't rain too much - the forecast is awful.
Saturday - I'd really hoped I'd sleep in well but woke up about 830am. I took AJ into town to buy shoes and trainers. We couldn't get any - there seems to be a shortage of size 3 boys shoes and trainers in this city!!! Not sure what we are going to do as he needs shoes desparately.
I had to have a sleep this afternoon and then we went out in the open topped morris minor. It was fun and really good to be tootling around in the New Forest in an open topped car.
The others have eaten pizza tonight - there is no way I can eat that so think I'll try an omellette.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home