fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Sunday, January 01, 2006

First Taxotere
I thought I was just going for the herceptin so decided to go on my own as I couldn't see it would be a problem. I saw the oncologist who suggested I start the taxotere today. I was feeling very chilled as I'd just had aromotherapy and so agreed. My mum had been unable to return home due to snow so it meant I had extra help and it was also a Bank Holiday so hubby home as well. I got hold of hubby so he could come and drive me home. I had a mega dose of steroid to reduce the risk of allergic reaction and had no problems. I just felt a bit spaced out but I was well used to that feeling. That night I didn't sleep at all but never looked in the mirror either. Big mistake - at 8am I looked in the bathroom and saw a red rash under my chin, chest and back. After phoning the hospital I knew I had to go in. Hubby had gone to work and his phone was off!! Useful!! I had to phone a friend who came out at 8.3o to take me to hospital. She was quiet as she'd only just woken up and I was as high as a kite with all this steroid and no sleep. (better than a crying wreck I'm sure). I was a bit shocked when I was shown a bed when i was expecting to sit in the waiting area. After an hour I saw a doctor who had to discuss me with his consultant before they gave me more steroids and antihistamine. I had to wait another 30 minutes for pharmacy by which timne I looked as if I had a big shaving rash all over my face - I don't know how my friend kept a straight face. Anyway, by 4pm the side effect of the anti-histamine was over-ruling the wide awakeness of the steroids and I slept for 2 hours. Saturday I managed a short shopping trip to get trainers for Woody and failed with school shoes for Laura. Another sleep in the afternoon and then off to friends for New Year. Lovely food and company - thanks. Laura and Woody have slept over but we had to bring AJ back who is currently asleep in our bed. Please sleep in tomorrow AJ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home