fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Friday, February 20, 2009

The transport turned up at 8am. It takes under 30 mins to get to hospital at half term so wasn't expecting him and hour and a half early so was dressed and had the ol slap on - getting better at the eyebrow painting but had no breakfast or cup of tea. had to buy breakfast at the hospital - really horrible lumpy porridge!!!
Got my recliner and then was told the Registrar would be a little late as was at meeting but in fact my appt was at 930am and she was with me by 945am so not bad at all. Found out that she wants to take lead in my care at present. Was puzzled and then remembered she'd asked my permission if she could use me as her case study for work she is doing with GPs and other medics about living with secondary bc and that it does not necessarily mean that a woman will be dead within a few months when diagnosed with secondaries Remembered when I first had skin mets in Nov 05, my GP told my hubby I'd be dead within 6 months.
I know in many ways I have been lucky in that my cancer responds to chemo but it just grows back very quickly the week i stop but I also know that many women do succumb very quickly to secondaries.She was happy togive me chemo despite my croaky voice due to a cold as it is not on my chest and I don't have a high temperature or anything. She examined my skin met and underlying lump and it has grown massively in 2 days. When hubby and I looked at it 2 days ago, it looked like a small insect bite about 0.5cm but today it is about 1.5cm across and is puckering - rather scary. My swallowing has improved a little so want to continue on that ground as so petrified of not being able to swallow again. Had an xray on my spine and will get result next week as she needs to get old notes to see if can have more rads to my spine. I think I have had the full dose allowable because of the rads i had June 08 that failed to shrink the solid lung one that squashes my oesophagus. When I was down there, I asked about my CT scan and was told it was booked on 10th Feb for 25th feb - the one date I didn't want as it is the BCC secondary meet in Bristol and desparate to go. I feel my emotional needs are just as important asmy physical needs so cancelled the CT and next appointment is not till 13th march so wouldn't get results till 19th march - 4 weeks time.
Have never had to wait this long before and if they'd sent it out last week I could have changed it then and not wait so long. Feeling I've done the wrong thing now as taking big risk. She has agreed in principle for me to have vineralbine so may have to swap to that before CT if my swallowing gets bad in next 4 weeks.
Good news was iron had gone up from 95 to 105 so think it is all the brocolli I've been eating!!!Will ring someone on monday to see if can be sped up as sure the 25th will be have been given to someone else now. Got my friend's funeral tomorrow so will be a long day and very hard emotionally so must go.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home