fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Monday, December 22, 2008

Hospital, Stairlifts and Home
Well, as many of you know, I did end up in hospital with a chest infection but am back home now.
I went to see the GP on wednesday evening but felt unhappy with the low strength antibiotics he'd given me so decided not to take them. Probably not the wisest of choices.
I woke up at 8am on thursday by the electrician and then went back to sleep again for a while. When I woke up I was freezing cold and felt so fluey and achey that I had to ring and go to hospital. Luckily, Pete had taken the day off sick himself with this same bug so he could take me in.
The wards were full so they were opening up the day beds as the ward. Eventually got moved to the proper ward and into the ladies bay. This time they treated me for a chest infection and so didn't waste time being treated with the wrong type of antibiotic.
The chest xray showed the infection was mainly based in the right lower lobe of my lung which is prone to infection as the tumour is squashing the entrance to that part of my lung. Had antibiotics via the drip till friday night and then switched to oral tablets.
they found my potassium levels were low so had a transfusion of that and am now on oral potassium supplements.
I had 2 units of blood as well as my haemoglobin had dropped so that has boosted me as well.
Came home saturday afternoon - thanks for the lift and have taught myself how to ue the stairlift. It's brilliant as can go up and down without huffing and puffing. Very definately second had but works so that's the main thing.
Today went out for the morris minor owners christmas meal which was lovely but I got a bit too hot and tired at the end. We've been busy wrapping presents and as usual have lost a couple in the loft.
Tomorrow have Heather and her 2 children down for the day and mum arriving to help me to get the food for christmas etc. Think a lot of tidying needs to be done first as bedrooms are a tip and need to wrap up pressies and get them up in the loft again until christmas eve. Also need to collect AJ's glasses which he is so excited about.
must go now as keep falling asleep and so will re-edit this soon but you now know I'm out of hospital, on antibiotics and potassium and extra water tablets and had 2 units of blood. The stairlift has arrrived.
night all and will re-edit it in a while

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 1:18 PM , Blogger karen said...

    Kate...wishing you and your family a enjoyable christmas together xxxx

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home