fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Monday, December 01, 2008

Chemo Day
I was told to be ready by 930am for transport for my 1030am appointment. The journey takes about 20 - 30 minutes but by 1010am, I was beginning to despair. I phoned the chemo reception and was told that transport had told them that they were going to be late. No-one thought about letting me know though!!
I got to the chemo reception at 1040am and asked about getting a recliner chair as my back and behind are too sore to sit for too long in an upright chair. They did give me a recliner chair and I relaxed happily and chatted to the other ladies until Debbie came when we chatted.
I had a very brief encounter with the oncologist again. He did not want to examine me and when I asked about my increasing chest cramps on my left side. He suggested I have paracetamol and use heat which I do anyway so that didn't get me very far forward!! He also reduced the dexamethasone (steroid) to 6mg so that I can reduce it midweek and be off it for some of the week and also not be so high on thursday night. I also asked about the water tablet and he said to stay on it so I will as it definately helps my lymphoedema and swollen ankles as well as more importantly, my breathing. I will try again to see the chief oncologist and see what he says about the chest cramps and pain, the steroids and the water tablets..
We had a lovely lunch of paninis and coffee and by 2pm, my chemo was ready. This meant that I should have been ready for 4pm for transport to take me home again. The piriton made me sleepy and after I had reiki by Debbie, I fell asleep until 4pm when I was very abruptly woken up by the chemo nurse who just seemed to grab the long line and chemo line and take them apart and flush it all before I was even properly awake. Debbie went to check that transport were coming and was told they knew I was there and waiting for them. Time went by and the chemo unit which normally closes at just before 5pm kept on seeing more patients. I couldn't believe it. Some of those women had been there since 11am and were only just receiving their chemo at 530pm.
We had to keep chasing the transport but still they didn't come. It was a dilemma. I wanted to go home and so it made more sense to go home with Debbie but as the transport was organised I was reluctant to go as it feels when you fall off the system, you won't get back on it again.
The ambulance eventually turned up at 615pm and I got home at 645pm. Pete got my tea ready and then went out at 730pm for his morris minor night!!! At least the children behaved and were really good and peaceful about going to bed tonight.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home