fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Hospice day
I actually had a bath today and it was blissful. I usually have showers but having a bath is now a luxury which I really enjoy.
I drove myself to the hospice and felt much more confident about my driving. As I hadn't really been out for a while I was shocked to see how much petrol had fallen by. It's a big relief though. I was really looking forward to going to the hospice as my shoulder blade area was so tense and painful and I wanted some reiki and aromotherapy to help. When I arrived I could see none of the usual practitioners but a lady who was obviously going to do cake decorating. She had made all these icing sugar pebguins so I thought brilliant, I can make a pebguin to take home. Wrong!! It was like watching something from the Generation Game as she did a full demonstration from the jam, marzipan, icing and decorating and we just watched. The cake is for our Christmas Party next week but I felt sort of cheated as I wanted the alternative therapies or at leaast take a penguin home with me!!! When I arrived, the drive had irritated my shoulder and the pain made me cry and moan and I just didn't know what to do. There was only 1 member of the daycare staff there and 1 volunteer and the physio was seeing patients. I really wanted heat but no-one could get me the cura- heat pads as they didn't know what I meant so I ended up taking oromorph which after about 15 minutes dulled the pain but didn't take it away and I just couldn't get comfy even with a pillow behind me. It must have been the first time they have seen me in pain like that as usually people always say how well I look so I think it rather surprised them. They kept telling me to relax which I knew but was impossible at that time for me as it felt like the nerve was trapped. The cake lady must have thought I was odd as I spent quite a lot of her demonstration trying to massage the bit that was tense and then when someone did find the cura-heat thing, I was sitting there with what looks like a giant white pad stuck to my clothes. I've just ordered some from Tescos but missed the half price deal as couldn't get a delivery slot before the deal ran out and they are £1.50 each. I'll have to see if I can find another internet site that does them more cheaply as at home I can warm the wheat bags but if we are out I need something else to help and it seems ridiculous to use morphine when heat and massage give the same relief.
At lunch, one of the other men who has been admitted to the hospice as a patient was very upset that the reiki lady wasn't there as he gets so much relief from this.
It did seem strange having this demonstration as she was talking to us as if we were all going to go home and make and ice a cake and how we could do different things with our grandchildren. She apparently comes every year but I actually felt quite offended that she was talking to us as if we had a future and we were all well enough to do fancy icing and it just rubbed it in that I won't be here next year to bake and decorate a cake and my fingers just wouldn't do this sort of fiddly thing now anyway.
This afternoon, we made paper christmas wreaths which was fun and I was pleased with my effort. They are going to hang them round the room for the party next week. being very selfish, I wanted to take mine home but hopefully as I've put my name in the back I can have it for after christmas so it can be used for another year.
I left early and went to a local cash and carry and bought a few food things, wicker baskets and some oasis and plastic flowers and some sweets for the stockings. I want to make a couple of baskets up with nuts, dried anf fresh fruit for the surgery etc and was so pleased with the christmas wreath I made a few weeks agao, I thought I would have a go at making a couple of table decorations for our christmas dinner.
This evening the twins have been putting their final touches to the history project and they have put them in presentation folders so they look very good now. Poor Laura - her nose just won't stop running and now she is coughing non stop but she is so desparate to go to school to hand her work in and do her presentation but I don't think she is up to it. Hopefully, Pete will take her to school tomorrow and then we'll see if she comes home after history.
One of my ex-work colleagues came round as well this evening so that was good to catch up and have got some loevly mints to eat and a book and magazine to keep me occupied. Must go - think we'll have to try some steam as she can't have any more medicine and she doesn't like hot drinks. Last time one of our friends made some special cordial up which really helped her so will text her tomorrow to see if she has anymore.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home