fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Hospital again, radiotherapy and not being able to eat
As Mags said, I went into hospital tuesday night after being sick for 6 hrs and so was very dehydrated and had appeared to have lost 10lb in a week. I did manage a cup of tea on arriavl at hospital which in true dippykate fashion was not straightforward.
Laura had earlier jumped over a flowerpot and landed badly on her knee and by th evening it looked to me as if she'd chipped her knee cap. Hubby had gone out in morris minor to see his friends just outside of Winchester. I was still being sick from a pureed chicken dinner and whilst I was phoning up NHS direct to get advice about Laura, I was continually bringing up saliva and being sick. The man on the end of the phone wanted to assess me but I old him I would phone the chemo helpline.
I honed hubby so he could come back home and rang his friends and just burst into tears and was still regurgitating so they offered to come down. There was not much time between them arriving and hubby arriving so I think some speed limits were broken!!! Hubby took Laura out but then returned after about an hour as he took her to MacDonalds and they had a milkshake etc and he thought she was OK so brought her home and I was still depsarately holding onot my bowl.He phoned the helpline and they had no beds but said they would phone back when they did. Our poor friends sat with us and my continual regurgitating and at about 1130pm thought it best if we asked hubby's brother to come over. So our friends left and bro-in-law came. He took me to hospital and had to push me in yet another misbehaving wheelchair.
They put a drip up - hooray for Hickman lines - and gave me some medicine so I stopped being sick and evetually fell asleep at 230am.
Wed - got visited by 2 friends and hubby but can't remember what else happened!!! A student nurse helped me to bath and wshed my hair, She was just about to qualify and had never washed anybody before. Unbelievable - when I trained it was the first thing yoou learnt and in yr 3 we were frequently in charge of the ward!!!!
I know they had a team meeting about me and thought best plan was to abandon chemo and start rads asap and then have taxol and they even agreed to tube feed me if necessary. I think they were as shocked as I was that i had lost 10 pounds in a week. Felt as if now lost about 2months of my life but I couldn't go on being sick and unable to eat or I would have died from starvation or dehydration.
thurs - sister and her daughter Magnolia (Mags) visited which was lovely and I needed their support. Had a ct scan which showed lung tumour bigger but oesophagus not looking more squashed but is now dilated above the narrowing so that is where all the food keeps being stored and why so much comes up when sick. Liver one is smaller so gem'carbo must have done some good but central chest lymp nodes now effected. Saw the registrar who said I could have rads planning that afternoon so I did so came back looking like a target for shooting. However, it now seemed that whilst they all still agreed to tube feeding me if needed, only 1 consultant was willing to give me more chemo.
I also saw the palliative care nurse who arranged for me to have a continuous morphine drip and I got an airbed which whistles when you sit on it but is so wonderfully comfortable.
fri - had herceptin but onc had forgotten to sign for bone drug and they had to remake the herceptin up as was out of date by then. It only lasts for 24 hrs so £2000 down a drain!! Had first rads. It is in the central area of my chest and is done on my front and on my back but is over skin where I've had previous rads so danger is skin might break down and not heal.
Saw the children in the day room as am on leukaemia ward so children not allowed. Also another friend visited which was lovely.
Saw the consultant who said I could go home over the weekend in the day but never wrote it in the notes!!!
Also saw the dirtician who gave me ideas about a pureed diet.
Saturday - waited for the doctors but got forgotten so couldn't go home so very upset and ended up with really bad shoulder pain.
Sunday - came home for a few hours. Very glad as toilet crisis on ward. Only 1 toilet between 12 patients. One toilet reserved for man with diarrhoea, the handle fell off the cistern in the other and even the one we could use, the light switch is broken and there is no window -only the emergency light so it was weeing in twilight - not great!!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home