fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Half Term
Oh dear, I seem to be behind with my blog and it's going all out of order again!! Hope I don't confuse you all too much.
Woody went off to his scout camp for the Bank Holiday weekend and it wa actually dry for him until the day they came home when it just chucked it down so he brought home lots of mud, leaf mulch and wet bedding, shoes and rucksack. Trying to get leafmold out of a sleeping bag is an interesting experience. They had spent one day making a raft and falling into a manmade lake so all those clothes were absolutely soaking and very muddy!! There was even leafy bits in his underpants!!! It had rained so much that the water came in under the tent so he was sleeping in puddle!! He seemed to have enjoyed it and came back with the usual bruises and cuts from falling off go karts etc.
That evening, we all went off to see Brainiac which is a science based programme on Sky. On telly they have done some amazing things like seeing Jon Tickle fro big Brother walking on top of a swimming pool of custard!! Unfortunately this is not practical in a theatre!! It was a brilliant show and very funny but there was quite a bit of toilet type humour which didn't seem appropriate for some of the younger children. They did some exploding experiments and an amazing smoke ring experiment. They also did some very funny things like spinning on an office chair by first of all by using his feet, then a fire extinguisher and then a rocket. It was quite a manic show but worth it.
The next day we went off to Kent to stay with my mum before going off to North Kent to stay in a caravan that a friend had kindly lent us. Tuesday night, there was a tremendous thunderstorm but apart from waking us up didn't think much about it. When we got to the caravan site, we found that there had been no power since 230am. Our friend had made up all the beds and provided us with food and towels. The children went off into the outside swimming pool whilst mum and I unpacked. that afternoon as it was still drizzly, we went into Ramsgate. There had been flooding overnight there and several shops were closed due to flooding and there was lots of mud everywhere. We tried again to buy AJ shoes and failed but bought Woody some socks. He had forgotten to pack any. He might get away at scout camp by wearing one pair of socks all week but not in my company!!! We had a lovley cream tea before going back to the caravan via a scenic route.
Thursday - my uncle came down as did my sister and her youngest 2. We sent the children off swimming so we could have an adult chat and found out a lot about my father's side of the family which was fascinating but not something I want to post about here. In the afternoon, it poured down so we went to an inside pool which had a flume and a wave machine. The flume must be the slowest I've ever witnessed and the wave machine seemed quite pathetic as well but they enjoyed it and we enjoyed the rest.
I'd been suffering from 2 mega mouth ulcers since monday but now the whole right side of my face was swollen like a hamster cheek. I phoned the chemo helpline but as I didn't have a temperature they felt it was OK and if it was still a problem when I returned to go to the hospital. It was a relief not to have to go back to that hospital in Kent. That evening we ended up back in East Kent in a Beefeater for dinner. I had to reject my dinner. The description was 'mushroom and spinach pasta in a blue cheese sauce'. The pasta was hard. The spinach was rocket!!! I had 3 thin slices of mushroom and the sauce was minimal and didn't have any taste of blue cheese at all. They were very good and I had a ricotta and spinach cannelonni which was much better and easier for me to eat.
Friday was dry and again my sister and her 2 came back down and we went to a wildlife park. There were some fantastic peacocks, meercats and prairie dogs who were so cute. We spent the day there and then came back for tea and then I took the children to the nightclub. The 2 boys went on stage and told a couple of jokes. Then it was adult bingo time. I have never played bingo before and had to ask a couple next to me how to play and what to shout. I bought 3 tickets the first time and didn't win anything. Then the second time I bought 6 tickets and I won the full house. Unfortunately, so did another woman but still came home with a £60 profit. I can see why gambling is addictive!!
Saturday was a hot, sunny day so we went to Broadstairs. The children even went in the sea and there is even an oldfashioned lido which was visible when the tide was out. Laura had a lvoely time with her net and bucket and caught several little fish, shrimps and crabs. She also got nipped by one. I played swingball with Woody which was great fun and not too exhausting as I coluld just stand still and hit the ball when it came round. Asit was a saturday, we didn't want to leave until after Dr Who. By this time the hot water had run out so I just put one limb in at at time to wash the sand off and the children went swimming. We got home about 1030pm so just went staright to bed. It was brilliant and really hope we can go back again. Thank you so much for letting us use your caravan.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home