fighting the invader

This is about my life as a woman of 46 yrs with breast cancer with young children

Friday, October 24, 2008

chemo and blood transfusions
Well after wondering what cock ups they could make yesterday with having blood transfusions on the ward and trying to see the onc for my chemo, I'm amazed to report it all went more or less to plan!!
I had to get up at the unearthly hour of 630am to be ready for my lift at 730am so arrived at the hospital at 8am and had some extra breakfast. I'd bought food with me for the rest of the day, completely forgetting that as I was on the ward they would come round with tea/coffee and sandwiches!! I got to the ward just before 830am and the transfusion started at 930am and so I'd had my 2 units of blood by 145pm. It was lovely having a bed so I could keep my feet up and rest my back. I think my body got a bit overloaded by the volume though as my ankles did swell - wonder if they still give diuretics if having blood for anaemia and not because you've lost a lot of blood? The other advantage was I could sleep when I wanted to so slept on and off.
The oncologist came to see me about 1230pm and must have been the shortest consultation ever consisting of about 4 sentences asking me if I was OK and me asking if I was due zometa and that I wanted to miss next week off as it was half term and what were my bloods were like. He said he hadn't looked at my bloods but would look at the results and order the chemo and zometa and it was fine to miss out next week and that was that!!! I was a bit surprised he hadn't looked at my bloods as he must remember by now I always ask!!
The only slight hiccup was that I'd gone to sleep due to the IV piriton and no-one had checked the speed the taxol was running at so again it was very slow going through. They can't put the taxol through the machine as it has to go through a filter first and the machine can't cope with that!!! It finished about 40 mins late and I ran the last bit through a bit quick so felt sick when I went home but an odantroson saw to that. So it will be good to have a week off as will be in London monday to friday for half term.
Aj is so excited about Halloween that we have to be back for the annual trick and treat round that the children in our road do. He had set his heart on a grim reaper outfit but it is only in adult sizes so we bought him a similar outfit plus some stocking presents.
AJ has gone off with his good friend to the Isle of Wight today and is back on monday. He has been so excited about going so am pleased he has the opportunity to go and hope allworks out well. He is going on a Sun holiday so had to pack sheets etc so it looks as if he is away for a week and not 3 nights. He is going back to the site we stayed with my sister in April. I think it will be warmer than when we were there as it was minus 4 one night!!! It seems strangely quiet without him. Then Laura is doing a sleep over saturday afternoon to sunday late morning. Hubby is taking Woody to do the junior version of the Great South Run tomorrow lunchtime. He is being sponsored for the Hospice so if anybody fancies sponsoring him then he would be grateful - sorry - I feel I'm always asking for money. The run is actually for leukaemia but you had the option of choosing your own charity and that is what he chose. He went out for a training run yesterday and did really well. Hubby cycled beside him. Heis very interested in doing athletics and I keep forgetting to find out about it and when you try to google it nothing comes up. In a city this size it seems unbelievable not to have a club or do they just not advertise themselves?
AJ comes back about 1pm on monday and then am aiming for 3pm train to London. We're booked on the London Eye on Tuesday as we had to book a day and time as I've got a disabled ticket. We are also meeting my sister and her family on thursday so think I will spend the day in Heather's house on wednesday as will get too tired I think to do 3 days in London on the trot and it will be good to spend some time with Heather and hopefully will have a voice this time unlike last time when I had laryngitis which turned into a chest infection. It was so frustrating only being able to talk in a whisper!!
Time sped by today at frightening speed. We did a little shopping this morning and then I went out for lunch and it was wonderful to be able to choose anything off the menu and then went in to see Woody's teacher, home then dinner and it's now 8pm. Life is just rushing by.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home